1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - potential job dilemma advice please.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by idunnonow, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Hi Theo,

I am returning to the job market after quite a pause. I am lucky enough to have two interviews lined up, both for a support role in different schools. If I am offered the first post, can I say provisionally yes, but mention to them that I have a second interview, which, if I am offered the second post, I then decline the first one?

Or would it be best to mention it during the interview so that they know in advance?

Thank you in advance

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You cannot say "provisionally yes". It's either yes or no and if you say "Yes", you should not even attend the second interview.

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Ditto to everything said by Middle March.

I'm genuinely quite worried about the number of people who think you can accept a job and then go to another interview.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Another one here who is worried at the attitude that you can accept and then decline a post. It's basic good manners.

Just think if you were the Head and you were told, "Well I'd like to provisionally accept the post unless I am offered another better one." Doesn't say much to your commitment to the school. Not that I have ever been a Head but if I heard that I'd be inclined to want to withdraw an offer-it's pure discourteous.

5. Thank you both for taking time to reply.

I understand your concerns CWadd, but you have to put in applications as they arise. It is not so much a case of accepting one job then going for another, it more a case of requesting time before giving definite answer. In the dim and distant past, I had been able to defer answering yes or no to a job, when I had two interviews (it was outside education though).

Would it be better to ask if they would consider giving me the time to give them a definite answer instead, or mention it in the interview?

Thank you

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

idunnonow, I think at this stage in the year, most Heads would want to have a definite answer, as another suitable candidate might get snapped up by the time you've got back to them with your answer.

If you accept a post, you shouldn't even attend another interview as you are not actually free to accept and it's unfair all round.

Decide as you look round the School if you think you'd make a good fit. Interviews I've attended have always had that, "If offered the post are you still a serious candidate?" question and you need to be honest. If uncertain you need to say (very politely of course) that you aren't. Theo would say, make the point you don't think you're a suitable candidate for the school, not the other way round. Another discourteous comment.

7. Thank you Lara mfl05, wise words from all. I know what I am going to do now :)

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

WEll done for the two interviews!

Yes, outside education it is nearly always possible to delay an answer to a job offer. You see, they don't have the 3 starting dates only, and a long period just before one of them when no interviewing is possible.

So in schools it is not very common, and even less common at this stage of the game/term/school year.

Read this.

Two interviews and a dilemma

And do also read all the very many interview advice articles, by the way. Many posters say that they have helped them get the job!

Let me know if you don't know where they all are.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

9. Thank you Lara mfl05, wise words all round. I now know what I need to do :)

10. Thank you TheoGriff, I have read Two jobs and a dilemma, can you send me pointers to the other articles you mentioned above please.

11. Thank you TheoGriff, I have read Two jobs and a dilemma, can you send me pointers to the other articles you mentioned above please.

12. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You don't have to tell me that you have to put in applications s they arise. But - remember it is late in the year. For some Indies, there is less than a month left until the end of term. Schools need to fill their vacancies ASAP.

If you ask them for time to decide, they may think you are indecisive and simply offer the job to the next candidate. If you say its because you're going to another interview, they may simply withdraw the offer.

Candidates are increasingly coming on here thinking they pull the strings at interviews. You don't. The schools do.

13. I have found them and read the information, all really helpful, thank you TheoGriff

14. I am sorry to cause you so much upset CWadd, that was not my intention. I am under no illusion that I can 'pull (any or) all the strings' at an interview. I was just asking for some advice as it is a long time since I had been through this process. I just needed to know the protocol and what was acceptable or not. Thank you for all your insight and help with this matter. Yours, along with other member's input means I now know what to do.

Kind regards.

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.