1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Postponing 11-18 teaching

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by BioWalker, Jun 2, 2012.

1. BioWalker

BioWalker New commenter

Hi Theo or anyone with advice,

I originally wanted to teach 11-18, and still do at some point, once I have QTS.

I am in the process of applying for jobs and have had a few interviews. I have one lined up for an 11-16 school after half-term.

I am conscious that it is getting late in the school year (plus I have an awkwardly timed holiday booked) and don't feel I can hold out for just 11-18 anymore.

I don't have much A-Level experience from my placements and I am wondering what I can do, if I am fortunate enough to get a job in 11-16, to potentially progress to teaching 11-18?

Thanks for any advice,

B

2. BioWalker

BioWalker New commenter

Hi Theo or anyone with advice,

I originally wanted to teach 11-18, and still do at some point, once I have QTS.

I am in the process of applying for jobs and have had a few interviews. I have one lined up for an 11-16 school after half-term.

I am conscious that it is getting late in the school year (plus I have an awkwardly timed holiday booked) and don't feel I can hold out for just 11-18 anymore.

I don't have much A-Level experience from my placements and I am wondering what I can do, if I am fortunate enough to get a job in 11-16, to potentially progress to teaching 11-18?

Thanks for any advice,

B

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This is a hard one.
    In the past I could suggest that you tried teaching A-level in evening classes, but Local Authorities have almost entirely closed those classes down now.
    Is your a subject where there is a lot of demand for exam markers? i know that for some subjects, the exam boards will actually trake on markers with no experience of teaching at that level (not that i think it's a good idea, but if they do, you may as well benefit from it).
    If you have a very good Year 10 group, you could see if the next year, when they are year 11, you could do an AS alongside the GCSE for some of them as an extra after school or at lunch time.
    But it is hard.
    Best wishes