1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Possible interview dilemma

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by princesstulip, Nov 29, 2011.

  1. princesstulip

    princesstulip New commenter

    I've been invited to an interview next Monday. Firstly, that's brilliant, I'm very grateful!
    However, there may end up being a problem with clashing interviews and a difficult decision to be made. I've read several previous threads on here about interviews on the same day. That has helped me to understand the general rules about job offers and so on and I've read how some people have dealt with the problem but I'm still not sure what I should do for the best.
    There is another school I've applied to which I REALLY loved when I visited and I got a very good vibe from the head teacher, who seemed eager to have my application. Their interviews are due to be held on Monday and Tuesday next week.
    The closing date for that job isn't until Friday so I won't find out if I've even been shortlisted until at least Friday evening. If I'm not, there's no issue of course!
    But if I'm lucky enough to be invited to an interview there, I don't know what to do about the interview I've already got booked. I could end up logistically being able to attend both, especially if this second school offers me an interview on Tuesday. But as things stand I'd only be able to go to it on Tuesday if I'm unsuccessful at the first interview on Monday. I would be completely crazy to turn the first job down if offered with the job market how it is! Also it's not a bad job, on paper it's a much "better" school, I just didn't get the same feeling about it.
    If invited to an interview at the second school which I prefer, I could hedge my bets and choose to only go to that one, but I feel like it's a big risk when trying to get my first job. I don't even know if I can turn down the interview I've already agreed to without being incredibly rude and giveing myself a bad name.
    As I said this problem may not even arise and I could be left with this one interview, which is still a great opportunity. I just can't stop thinking at the moment about all the implications!
     
  2. princesstulip

    princesstulip New commenter

    I've been invited to an interview next Monday. Firstly, that's brilliant, I'm very grateful!
    However, there may end up being a problem with clashing interviews and a difficult decision to be made. I've read several previous threads on here about interviews on the same day. That has helped me to understand the general rules about job offers and so on and I've read how some people have dealt with the problem but I'm still not sure what I should do for the best.
    There is another school I've applied to which I REALLY loved when I visited and I got a very good vibe from the head teacher, who seemed eager to have my application. Their interviews are due to be held on Monday and Tuesday next week.
    The closing date for that job isn't until Friday so I won't find out if I've even been shortlisted until at least Friday evening. If I'm not, there's no issue of course!
    But if I'm lucky enough to be invited to an interview there, I don't know what to do about the interview I've already got booked. I could end up logistically being able to attend both, especially if this second school offers me an interview on Tuesday. But as things stand I'd only be able to go to it on Tuesday if I'm unsuccessful at the first interview on Monday. I would be completely crazy to turn the first job down if offered with the job market how it is! Also it's not a bad job, on paper it's a much "better" school, I just didn't get the same feeling about it.
    If invited to an interview at the second school which I prefer, I could hedge my bets and choose to only go to that one, but I feel like it's a big risk when trying to get my first job. I don't even know if I can turn down the interview I've already agreed to without being incredibly rude and giveing myself a bad name.
    As I said this problem may not even arise and I could be left with this one interview, which is still a great opportunity. I just can't stop thinking at the moment about all the implications!
     
  3. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    Not very sure about whether my experience or opinion is worth anything at the moment but if the closing date is Fri and they're expecting to hold interviews Mon and Tues, that's very quick, so they'll probably be sorting through applications as they arrive, in order to shortlist in time to notify you for Mon/Tues.
    As you say yourself you might not be shortlisted for the second post, but just remember in all you do; be professional, at all times.
     
  4. Georgia99

    Georgia99 New commenter

    I was in a similar position, I had two interviews a day after one another. I really wanted the second job as the school seemed better suited to me and I knew there was more NQT support there.
    I got the job at the first interview and had to withdraw from the second. I was gutted but couldn't risk rejecting the first offer because I was up against four others for the second interview.
    In my current role I am quite unhappy now, I do not have much NQT support at all and the school doesn't have the staff closeness that my PGCE placement schools had. In some ways I wish I'd withdrawn and took my chances with the other school but then I could have still be unemployed if I had done that and I have to believe that everything happens for a reason.
    If you get selected for interview for your preferred job then you have a tough decision. If you are interviewed on Monday they will ask you at the end of the interview if you still wish to be considered for the role, if you say 'yes' then they will not expect you to reject the offer if you get the job and if you do it could mean you getting a bad name around the local schools. You could withdraw yourself from the first interview but you might end up not getting your preferred job and you would kick yourself for missing the opportunity at your second choice school!
    Best of luck with the interview
     
  5. princesstulip

    princesstulip New commenter

    Of course your experience and opinion are worthwhile! Always good to hear other people's experiences when trying to make decisions.

    I've definitely got the closing date and interview dates for the second job correct. As far as I understand applications are not allowed to be shortlisted before the closing date to avoid issues of unfairness, but I may be wrong. I've heard of people recently being given less than 24 notice for interviews. I didn'tget much notice for my first interview last week.
    People have been mentioning in the last few days on this forum interviews being like buses... well I've just been invited to another one!
    It's another school I really liked, and a permanent position (the job I'm being interviewed for on Monday isn't) ... but it's not till the week after next, so may end up not being able to go!


     
  6. I know what you mean with them being like buses I have been invited to 3 since Friday. 2 however were for Thursday so I've had to decide which one to do!
    The other is Monday so like you this will depend on Thursday's outcome! Although I'd much prefer the Monday one! But will not turn down an offer if I'm successful Thursday as I need the job!
     
  7. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    There is not really much I can give here in the way of advice.
    You know the situation, you know the professional approach, you know the risks . . .
    Let me just wish you all the very best of luck! I look forward to a little rush of new threads called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    Best wishes
    ___________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
     
  8. princesstulip

    princesstulip New commenter

    This dilemma has come true!
    I've been invited to an interview at my preferred school on Tuesday. So it doesn't clash with my interview on Monday, but still awkward as I'll be given the answer about the first job on Monday evening. I could try asking the other school to move the interview till Monday afternoon as both interviews are only half-days, but if they're interviewing on Tuesday as well, I wouldn't hear back from them till Tuesday so still doesn't help!
    I'm thinking of cancelling the interview on Monday. I feel like I haven't got a chance of getting it anyway. There is no teaching involved, only interview by panel, at which I have to show written evidence of consistently outstanding practice (it's an extremely good school). Urm... I can't do that! The most I got during my training was a couple of lesson observations graded good "with elements of outstanding". It seems like this interview will be a simple case of numbers, as in people who go in with a selection of outstanding lesson obs and discuss them well will obviouslybe chosen over me. Hmm...
     
  9. marlin

    marlin Star commenter Forum guide

    Do you still have an interview for the following week? From reading your threads it seems as if you do, so a back-up if things don't work out on Monday or Tuesday I suppose.
    Don't do yourself down! The Monday school obviously feel from your application form that you are worth considering otherwise they wouldn't interview you - they aren't out to waste their own time!
    You need to sit down with a piece of paper - pros and cons of all possibilities and ask yourself if you can cope with the consequences of each decision you might make.
    Tough one - but better than no options at all - good luck with whatever you decide to do. [​IMG]
     
  10. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    Agree with marlin, lists of pros and cons against the Mon post would be good.
    Warning- you might not like this. Don't forget to factor in the fact of how you might feel if you refused the Mon. option and didn't get any of the other posts! (Told you, you wouldn't like it, but you have to be realistic, in case you later have regrets about deliberately refusing an interview. Depends on your personality and if you've factored it into your decision you're less likely to have regrets.)
    Best wishes whatever you decide.
     
  11. Bentley89

    Bentley89 New commenter

    I don't think it is a problem if you get a job and have to cancel interviews because of that...
    I had three interviews confirmed and booked in, but accepted the first job that I was offered o n interview one.
    I then emailed the schools who had offered me interviews explaining that I had been offered a job and accepted. One school congratulated me, the other gave me no response.
    I would imagine that the Headteacher would be disappointed at effectively losing out on you if you were actually employable enough to be offered the job :)
    As a general bit of advice, go with your gut feeling but think what is best for you. I'm not in the dream job, but it's a start to my teaching career...
     
  12. princesstulip

    princesstulip New commenter

    Thanks for all the advice everyone!

    I don't know if I've got an interview the week after next now, it's a confusing situation, turns out I'm on a sort of back-up list for a possible 2nd day of interviews but will be notified next week.

    As it stands at the moment I'm still going to the interview on Monday and the one on Tuesday. In an ideal world I would just love to just go on Tuesday and get that job, but the one on Monday is not at all a bad option so I'd accept it if lucky enough to be offered and if I'm not, I have another chance at a school I really love!

    My agency has put me forward for a long-term supply position as well so I've got nothing to complain about and I'm lucky to have options. Good luck everyone!
     

Share This Page