1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- Positive Spin

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by andersoncouncil, May 22, 2012.

1. andersoncouncil

andersoncouncil New commenter

I am about ready to throw in the towel, so any last ditch advice would be much appreciated. I did 2 short term posts in secondary (1 year each) and then taught in FE for 4 years until I was made redundant. I am currently doing supply in secondary. I have applied for countless jobs (probably in the region of 100) and been short listed 3 times for posts outside of my own subject area or age range. I talk about sixth form and UCAS experience where schools have a sixth form, I have done the co-ordination role for two subjects (no luck on HOD jobs either). My references are good and I follow all of your advice on using an Executive Summary etc. HODs at schools I have been on supply in have told me about posts coming up and urged me to apply and I still don't make the cut. As I was on a different pay scale in FE I can't see any reason why they couldn't pay me MPS 3, so I'm not very expensive for someone with nearly 7 years of teaching under their belt. I have a good degree. I feel their may be a perception that there are no behaviour issues in FE or that we don't deal with parents, so I make a point of dealing with this in applications. I have done tonnes of CPD, all relevant to secondary teaching and been an examiner for two different boards. My short term posts were a maternity cover and stepping in for an absent HOD, so there was no option to make them longer term, it isn't as though I was sacked or anything. I taught another subject in FE and have applied for jobs doing this. I also did some Foundation Learning and Basic Skills and came fairly close to a job in a Special School, but was just pipped. I wondered what makes my applications go on the no pile and how could I put a more positive spin on what is so off putting? There really are no jobs in FE where I think I might stand a better chance, but I always state that I am keen to be in the secondary sector etc.

2. andersoncouncil

PS I can't make it do paragraphs on here, but do promise I use them in statements etc. Thanks in advance to Theo and anyone else who can help out (or just empathise/sympathise I could do with it at the moment!)

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hard to say without actually seeing the application and the job details, I'm afraid.
    And no, I don't do that!
    But I know someone who does . . . If you e-mail Julia on advice@tes.co.uk, she manages the application review service, so write to her and see what she suggests.
    Best wishes

4. andersoncouncil

Thanks Theo, I'm feeling sorry for myself today. I will definitely do that and hopefully not give up just yet!