1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - poor interview technique

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by nhlkeesk1, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Dera Theo,
    I wonder could you advise me? I had an interview today which did not go as well as I would have liked.
    I know from my current head that I do not interview well but I came to her as a recommnedation and got the job on my lesson.
    I know that I am more than qualified for the job in which I was interviewed for today and from what the head was saying, I clearly have the same vision and ethos as him. However I am aware that I perhaps didn't get this across in my interview. It was my first interview in 8 years (second in total) and although I ahve stepped into senior management, it has all been internal. I know that I wasn't as prepared as somebody who has gone through quite a number of interviews as I had no intention of moving schools until I saw this job.
    Do you think it would be worthwhile contacting the head and explaining this to him? I am concerned he may think I have applied to a lot of jobs and should be more than experienced with interviews. He did say that if I had any further questions to drop him a line.
    Any advice would be appreciated. I want to give myself the best opportunity, but don't want to step over the protocals of correct interview etiquette!
    Thanks

2. Dera Theo,
    I wonder could you advise me? I had an interview today which did not go as well as I would have liked.
    I know from my current head that I do not interview well but I came to her as a recommnedation and got the job on my lesson.
    I know that I am more than qualified for the job in which I was interviewed for today and from what the head was saying, I clearly have the same vision and ethos as him. However I am aware that I perhaps didn't get this across in my interview. It was my first interview in 8 years (second in total) and although I ahve stepped into senior management, it has all been internal. I know that I wasn't as prepared as somebody who has gone through quite a number of interviews as I had no intention of moving schools until I saw this job.
    Do you think it would be worthwhile contacting the head and explaining this to him? I am concerned he may think I have applied to a lot of jobs and should be more than experienced with interviews. He did say that if I had any further questions to drop him a line.
    Any advice would be appreciated. I want to give myself the best opportunity, but don't want to step over the protocals of correct interview etiquette!
    Thanks

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I don't understand why you think you need to 'explain' this to the head. How experienced or not you are with interviews is irrelevant now, since you didn't get the job. This head isn't really interested in your point of view, but offered you the opportunity to gain feedback on your performance - he didn't mean 'argue your case'.
    What would you expect to get out of 'explaining' to the head that you aren't very experienced with interviews?

4. Perhaps my post wasn't clear. I don't know yet that I haven't got the job. Other interviews are still being held and I will hear back in a few days.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I agree with MM.
    What would be the point?
    What you need to do now, if you are going to continue applying for jobs, is to read the Interview clickables inside the Welcome thread, where there are some excellent Tips and Hints - including a very highly rated tip from MM herself about mind maps.
    Many posters have found that very helpful indeed.
    Best wishes

6. Hi Theo,
    I am posting again, as I was expecting I didn't get the job. However I have noticed that the job has been readvertised, over a month later, which is strange as there was a huge number of applicants. Do you think it would be worth re-applying?