1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo... please tell me this happens often.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by alabelle, Jun 14, 2015.

1. alabelle

alabelle New commenter

It is also worth adding that I am unsure whether I will be qualified to be a teaching assistant. I have a degree in Education Studies, and possibly my PGCE also, but most schools appear to ask specifically for a Level 2/3 qualification in being a TA specifically. Would my qualifications be desirable?

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

OK, take a deep breath. Please.

You write you've been stressed the whole course - has anyone actually stepped in to show you how to improve behaviour management skills?

Or did you ask for help and no-one did?

If you've left the placement, you have not completed the PGCE. I don't understand how the uni could award you this if you haven't completed. Withdrawal means you have left.

You really need to talk to your Uni mentor, and discuss options. I have known people who have left training courses, and later re-applied. I've also known people who have left and gone on to have successful careers in other fields.

Being a TA is a hard job - and not terribly well paid in comparison to teaching. Again, you need to talk to your mentor.

3. alabelle

alabelle New commenter

The university were supportive and tried a number of things to help me. However it has been clear for quite some time that my progress was unacceptable.

I'm not sure what they mean by suggesting I will still have a PGCE. I have passed the academic side of the course, so maybe that is what they mean? I will not be awarded QTS though. And as of yet, I have not officially withdrawn, though I have been told not to attend school on Monday. I have an official meeting soon.

I know being a TA is not the easiest job in the world, but after struggling with the long hours of the PGCE it certainly seems tempting. I also have financial reasons for needing to work asap. It's either this or a fast food place again, and I can't quite face that.

4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I still say you should discuss this with your mentor.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be a TA - but bear in mind that if you do get a job, you won't be working until September.

You do have skills through your degree that are transferable - that is why you need to discuss this with someone. Have you thought about the Careers' Advisors?

5. alabelle

alabelle New commenter

She suggested in our most recent meeting that I consider other roles within school, such as being a TA. I will discuss it in more detail with her at the meeting though. I'm aware that I wouldn't be working until September, but at least I would have a job lined up. That would make retail/bar work easier to tolerate in the meantime. Not that those jobs are easy to come by either!

I hadn't considered careers advisors. I'm not quite sure where to find people like that.. Uni probably. I will call them tomorrow and see if I can speak to them, thanks.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This must be really upsetting for you, Alabella, and I admire the brave way you are tackling this.

The advice from CWard above is all spot on, especially about going to the Careers Service at your Uni. They will have experience of dealing with people who have not met the QTS standards, and so are best placed to help you.

As for the TA role, many people who didn't quite make it there go into TA-ship, so I shouldn't be too concerned about qualifications. But I will warn you that there is a lot of competition for these posts, so don't think that you will just walk it.

I'm really sorry that this has happened to you.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.