1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo : Please may I have some advice on resignation/notice periods?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by poppy_2010, Jun 8, 2012.

  1. Dear Theo,
    I am approaching the end of my second year of teaching, and throughout this year I have increasingly felt like I am not in the right school for me. For a start it is my old school, and was also one of my PGCE placements, so I feel very much in my 'comfort zone' and I am worried that if I do not move soon I will find it very difficult, as I have little experience of other schools (especially as I am at a grammar school at present).
    Secondly there have been several significant events this year that have lead me to believe that I do not share the school's pastoral ethos, and I feel I would be able to give a lot more to a school that values the emotional development of its students as much as their results. (This is something that I feel very strongly about and has already lead me to decide that I want to move schools when the 'right job' came up).
    There is also very little opportunity for progression at my current school, as all of the 'lower rungs of the ladder' positions have been filled within the last 18 months. Finally, another significant factor for me is the fact that the school is currently coming to the end of the consultation period regarding applying to change to an academy, something I am very uncomfortable about.
    As stated previously I had already decided to look out for another job, but was very conscious that I did not want to apply for any job just because I wanted to move. From a day to day teaching perspective I actually really enjoy working at my current school, I have built some very strong relationships with the students, and I would feel very guilty leaving some of the students that I have built particularly strong relationships with, and my year 10 and 12 groups, and so I decided I would not consider leaving unless a job came up that really was 'right'.
    The problem is that at the weekend I found the ''perfect'' job. It has only just been advertised (and in fact only came on the TES today), and from all the information on the school's website, the OFSTED report, reviews from parents, and also speaking to parents I know who's children go there, I really believe that it is the right school for me, and a school where I feel I have the most to offer to benefit them. Knowing that the deadline for resignations has passed I contacted the head of the school yesterday to ask if they would consider a January start for the right candidate, and he replied that he needed someone for a September start.
    I was then resigned to the fact that it was a case of the right job at the wrong time, but have since spoken to my family and some colleagues who have given me mixed advice. My family and several colleagues have said that I should speak to my head when we go back after half term to explain the situation, and how strongly I feel about applying for this job, and see what he says. Other colleagues have said that I should leave it as there is no way around it. Someone also mentioned that the fact we will be changing to an academy will also have a bearing on this as we will need to sign new contracts.
    Personally I would feel really bad about leaving the school in a difficult situation, and would feel really bad about leaving the students. My family say that I need to make decisions based on what is best for me and not other people, and that I should speak to my head. I am really just trying to get clarification as to if there is any flexibility regarding the deadline for resignations, especially with the impending change to academy status. Whilst I really want to do the right thing by the school I am at at the moment, I really do not want to miss out on applying for what seems to be the 'perfect' job for me, when I have already decided I want to leave the school I am at, and an opportunity like this may not come up again (or by the time it does I may be 'type cast').
    Apologies for the long winded post, I do have a tendency to go into too much detail, but any advice would be most gratefully accepted!
    Thank you Poppy
  2. Woohoo, finally managed to post with paragrahs! Thanks to Catherine for her advice!
  3. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    There are now three versions of this thread, and as this is the one with paragraphs, I'll reply here.
    TIP 1: If you are using Google Chrome, Safari (i.e. anything Apple), or Android (Gingerbread, Honeycomd, Ice-Cream Sandwich), then to get a paragraph insert at the appropriate point.
    TIP 2: Keep it a tad shorter next time, please. Even with paragraphs I was tempted to just reply: TLDR . . .
    Right, now to your question.
    • Yes, it is too late for you to give in your notice for September.
    • Etiquette requires you to speak to your Head before you apply for any post, as they will be your main referee.
    • The Head would be offended at any suggestion that the other is your "dream school", as it says clearly that this is not.
    • Your Head will tell you that it is too late. S/he may nonetheless agree to you being released early.
    • Or probably will not, as it puts them in a difficult position
    • The Head would doubtless be aggrieved that you want to leave at short notice
    • Unless they are secretly dying to get rid of you, in which case they will readily agree to you being released early.
    • So then you will know that they don't much rate you.
    • If you apply for this post, the other Head will know that you are currently held to your contractual leaving date of 31 December, and will see that unless you are an exceptional candidate worthe waiting for, you are no use to their school.
    • The other Head would, anyway, be extremely wary of a candidate actually wanting to put their current school into a difficult position by requesting to leave so late in the year.
    • And if you have the agreement of your Head to hand in late notice, then the other school will be even more wary as they will realise that your current school is not that intent on keeping you.
    Think this covers the situation pretty fully.

    Best wishes
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

  4. Thanks for your advice Theo!
    I'd kind of come to that conclusion myself, and was just seeking some clarification to help me explain to my (very well meaning but completely not understanding) parents why I wasn't applying for the job. I do really like and respect my head, (it's not his decisions pastorally that I haven't agreed with) and really would not want to put him in a bad position, and I really wouldn't want to disrupt the students either. It is just really frustrating though when a job I would really like to do is advertised after the deadline!
    I am really sorry about the multiple posts and the essay length post! I know I tend to rabbit on a bit. I have emailed the forum help people to ask is it possible to remove the other threads. I must be a bit dim though as I don't know what TLDR means?!?!
    On a slightly different note, do you think I am likely to find it difficult getting another position, having only worked at my old school, especially with it being a grammar school?
    Paragraphs and a shorter message this time!!
    Thank you
  5. Sillow

    Sillow Lead commenter

    I didn't know either, but a quick Google search reveals it to mean "Too Long, Didn't Read".


Share This Page