1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, Please help!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by walkinginthewoods, May 9, 2012.

1. I have not got a teaching job, I am following all the advice on here but since last summer, last time I worked, I have not been able to even get an interview, the interviews I have had have not had very positive feedback for me.
    My family all think I should do something else but I want to teach.
    What more can I do?

2. I have not got a teaching job, I am following all the advice on here but since last summer, last time I worked, I have not been able to even get an interview, the interviews I have had have not had very positive feedback for me.
    My family all think I should do something else but I want to teach.
    What more can I do?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well, if you can't imagine ever being happy in anything else other than education, teaching it has to be.
    You have presumably been following all the good advice in the pinned threads?
    Positive is you <u>have</u> been getting invites to interview.
    Theo will probably suggest you sign up for one of the seminars if you can afford it. They might be able to help you identify some pointers.
    Only other suggestion I can offer is to find alternative posts within education as a stepping stone?

4. Yes I know how you feel-If you want to carry on do so-I am thinkin gof setting up some sort of job club through technology-Its only an idea but others have shown interest-u can PM me if u wish. I could help...

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You are not the only one in this sad situation, WITW, but here we are all trying to encourage people not to give up.
    Here is a post from someone in a very similar situation to you:
    Dear Theo - I got the job! (Plus evidence of why going to the TES seminar is a good idea)
    This was just posted today, so Hot Off The Press.
    There are several stages to this getting the job.
    1) Finding the jobs to apply for - and then actually getting the time to do the applications. Yesterday i helped a friend fill in a form, write a letter and do an executive summary for a job - not a job in a school, she is not a teacher. It took the two of us all told well over 4 hours. So I recognise how hard this bit is.
    2) Getting shortlisted. Just getting this far as you were earlier on is a success nowadays. And doing the executive summary, making sure that you are applying specifically to that school, can help.
    3) Succeeding at interview. This is the nerve-wracking bit, I know! There is the lesson and the interview, needing different skills and different preparation.
    This is what I dind so hard. People who want to teach, but are not given the opportunity.
    My advice to you at this point is to do a honest evaluation of how well you are actually following my advice. Print off the 2 short-listing clickables, and show them, with a copy of your last application, to some friend who you can trust to be brutally honest. A bossy elder sister can sometimes do - I'll lend you mine if you like! [​IMG]
    Get them to read the advice, then read your application, noting exactly where you are and aren't following the advice.
    This might turn up something quite obvious that you have overlooked!
    And you could always just check to see if there's a place left on Saturday's seminar.
    Best wishes.