1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - please help!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rainbowsandrain, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Hi Theo,
    I am currently doing a PGCE and have kept in touch with members of staff from my old secondary school (where I would LOVE to work), one of whom has told me that a vacancy is going to arise in my subject area. The post is not going to be advertised as they have people on file who apply speculatively in the hope that a job will come up so I have been advised to do the same. This would mean sending in a CV, as opposed to an application form, and I was just wondering what I should put under the 'personal statement' section of the form - surely everything in that would be covered in the covering letter?

Also, this might sound a bit silly, but I'm worried that if I post my CV and covering letter to the school during the holidays, the school might not receive it. Is there a danger of this or am I worrying unnecessarily?

2. Hi Theo,
    I am currently doing a PGCE and have kept in touch with members of staff from my old secondary school (where I would LOVE to work), one of whom has told me that a vacancy is going to arise in my subject area. The post is not going to be advertised as they have people on file who apply speculatively in the hope that a job will come up so I have been advised to do the same. This would mean sending in a CV, as opposed to an application form, and I was just wondering what I should put under the 'personal statement' section of the form - surely everything in that would be covered in the covering letter?

Also, this might sound a bit silly, but I'm worried that if I post my CV and covering letter to the school during the holidays, the school might not receive it. Is there a danger of this or am I worrying unnecessarily?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Goodness me!
    This is VERY unusual.
    • Very unusual because it is totally contrary to the Equal Opportunities policies of most LEAs to limit the possibility of other people, other than those just happening to hear about it and send in a speculative application, having a chance to be appointed to the job.
    • It is totally contrary to good practice in identifying the best possible candidate for appointment,
    • And actually probably generally considered by most people to be pretty unfair.
    Is this an independent school by any chance?
    Not that any of the above is meant as a criticism of you, Rainbow, so don't take it badly.
    But can you understand what I mean by thinking how you'd feel if you had heard that they had made an appointment at that school (where you would LOVE to work), in subject X (which is YOUR subject), and that although you looked every day in the TES, and had JobAlerts set up, you didn't get a chance to apply because they had limited the field to those people who happened to write in speculatively?
    Pretty poor show overall, in my view. I'm amazed that they are doing it, and that they are getting away with it without someone making an official complaint.
    However . . .
    Not quite sure what you mean here - you say there is no application form, and then ask what to put in the personal statement section of the form.
    I think that you should send:
    • A CV (which of course the government says that maintained schools should not accept for teaching job applications . . . another reason to be flabbergasted by the whole set-up)
    • A letter of application
    And cross your fingers!
    (It may be, of course, that the person who told you has got it all mixed up, crossed wires, and this is not what is going to happen at all).
    After the actual religious and bank holiday, there is likely to be some admin staff in many schools, and SLT members too. But if you are really worried, then post it to arrive on the first day of term.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It all sounds extremely odd to me. Not advertising on the grounds that you've had a number of 'speculative' applications is dodgy, if only on the grounds that they might all be rubbish candidates.
    It smacks of 'I know who I want for the job' to me.

5. Thank you both for your replies. Yes, it is an independent school, and this whole thing has made me feel rather uneasy, as it is so unfair - if I hadn't kept in touch with the members of staff I wouldn't have known about it at all. I agree with Middlemarch that it sounds like they already have someone they want for the job and I'm now in two minds as to whether to apply.

Thanks again for your replies - it's useful to know that this isn't standard practice as, due to not many jobs being advertised in my subject, I was about to go off sending speculative letters here there and everywhere!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    You can nonetheless do your NQT induction year there:
    Yes you can do your Induction Year in an Independent School
    I suggest that you go for it anyway; they may be pleasantly surprised by the quality of your application.
    Frankly, in most schools one of the main jobs of the Head's secretary is to stop such letters ever reaching the Head . . .Here's my take on this:
    Dear Theo- writing prospective letters to schools
    But in this case, since you know that there is a job in the offing, you could usefully apply.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.