1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo... please help!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon1021, Jan 21, 2012.

1. One of the jobs I am applying for has an employee specification that has 32 points. Even if I could meet all of the criteria (which I can't), there are so many points to meet, I can't possibly get it all into i) an application letter or ii) an executive summary. So my questions are:
    1) Do I pick out what I would consider to be the most important points and use them?
    2) Do I split them and put some in my letter and some in my executive summary?

800x600

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

3) What do I do about the ones I can't meet - for example; 'Experience of leading whole school initiatives'

Do I just write about how I might meet most of it - eg perhaps not 'leading' initiative, but being involved in it in the classroom?!

Thanks in advance

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If there is an enormous long list, you need to do several things:
    a) prioritise. What stuff is also on the application form (eg qualifications). Ditch. What things are going to be most important to school: Keeop. What things are minor points: Ditch.
    b) condense. They may have a full sentnce or two - you cut this down to 3 or 4 words
    c) combine. Are there a few that could be condensed and stuck onto another one?
    d) omit - ones you don't fit at all. Where you contribute but not lead, change their wording from lead to contribute and then use that
    No. The executive summary and the letter must both stand alone as a full description of your suitability for the post.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If there is an enormous long list, you need to do several things:
    a) prioritise. What stuff is also on the application form (eg qualifications). Ditch. What things are going to be most important to school: Keeop. What things are minor points: Ditch.
    b) condense. They may have a full sentnce or two - you cut this down to 3 or 4 words
    c) combine. Are there a few that could be condensed and stuck onto another one?
    d) omit - ones you don't fit at all. Where you contribute but not lead, change their wording from lead to contribute and then use that
    No. The executive summary and the letter must both stand alone as a full description of your suitability for the post.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

4. Thank you!

5. Super -so glad I read this this morning! Just redrafted (again!!) my application and have got so so much more into each paragraph ('cutting the waffle', as you say!). Will also be doing exectutive summary first from now on - I read in your clickables that this is sometimes easier to do as it gives you a clearer focus. It definitely helped!
    Thanks Theo! [​IMG]

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bestest luck!