1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, please help - really don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rainbowsandrain, May 2, 2012.

  1. Dear Theo,
    I am a PGCE student and have recently been applying for jobs, of which there is a shortage in my subject. I was lucky enough to be offered an interview at my dream school, School A, next week. However, another school, School B (which is also nice but not my dream school) have contacted me giving me two days' notice for interview. I replied saying that I would be unable to attend (as I would prefer to work in School A, so if I was offered the job in School B before the interview with School A I would turn it down), but have been contacted by the Deputy Head of School B saying that he understands I cannot attend the interview this week and wants to see if we can come to some kind of compromise.
    I understand that in this current job climate I am fortunate to be being offered interviews but I don't know how to deal with this situation. I am aware that I may not get the job at School A and could end up unemployed.
    I am considering potential options. Should I:
    - be honest with School B and say that I am already committed to an interview next week but may be available for interview afterwards?
    - contact School A, let them know my situation and see if they could interview me earlier?
    - do something else?
    Help!
     
  2. Dear Theo,
    I am a PGCE student and have recently been applying for jobs, of which there is a shortage in my subject. I was lucky enough to be offered an interview at my dream school, School A, next week. However, another school, School B (which is also nice but not my dream school) have contacted me giving me two days' notice for interview. I replied saying that I would be unable to attend (as I would prefer to work in School A, so if I was offered the job in School B before the interview with School A I would turn it down), but have been contacted by the Deputy Head of School B saying that he understands I cannot attend the interview this week and wants to see if we can come to some kind of compromise.
    I understand that in this current job climate I am fortunate to be being offered interviews but I don't know how to deal with this situation. I am aware that I may not get the job at School A and could end up unemployed.
    I am considering potential options. Should I:
    - be honest with School B and say that I am already committed to an interview next week but may be available for interview afterwards?
    - contact School A, let them know my situation and see if they could interview me earlier?
    - do something else?
    Help!
     
  3. mmm...Milk

    mmm...Milk New commenter

    Go to the interview this week (School b?) and if you aren't successful, or hate the place, you can use it as a trial run for the school you really want. Make sure you get really usefull feedback. I certinally wouldn't pass up the opportunity for interview practice and the school seems keen. If you get school B, then you, as you are aware, should be grateful, and yes, there will always be the "what if", but I would cross that bridge when you come to it.
    My only other advice is when you get to the school, go on your gut instinct as to wether you like the place or not. I went for an interview at this fantastic school with wonderful ofsted and catchement etc. I hated the place, it just didn't feel right. I turned that job down, and still dont regret it as I know I would never have been happy there.

     

  4. Thank you for your advice. The reason I am reluctant to go to School B and use it as a practice run is that I have been to an interview before and after the lesson but before the individual interview I was asked if I was a 'firm candidate', meaning that if I said yes to this and was offered the job I would be obliged to take it. If the same thing happened at School B, I would have to say no because I would still be holding out for School A so they probably wouldn't bother with the individual interview as I wouldn't be a 'firm candidate' and therefore it wouldn't really be good experience.
    Is this right?
     
  5. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    Wow, you must be in a real shortage subject. Congratulations on achieving TWO interviews.
    Being of what some might term 'of mature years', I've seen many people who rant about their 'Dream school' only to discover after a term or two, it's not quite such a dream! So don't dismiss School B out of hand without at least having a look at it.
    So, yes, be upfront with school B, say you're already committed to an interview next week, but should that prove unsuccessful you'de be delighted to accept an interview for their school. Give them a firm date and time to contact you by.
     
  6. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    School A are extremely unlikely to bring forward the interview, because it would involve changing the date for everybody. They cannot just interview you and offer you the job without seeing the others. So Option 2 is out.
    Option 1 is by far the best. If the school is really keen on you, they may do one of two things: ask you to come to interview anyway, knowing that you may not wish to accept immediately, but hoping that they will impress you so that you want to accept and withdraw from School A. Or ask you to attend an interview later.
    The problem is that if this is a subject where it is difficult to recruit, they will not wish to keep the other people hanging around to hear the results, in case they go off and get another job meanwhile.
    But contacting the school B and telling them the situation is the only possible way forward.
    Best wishes
    _______________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.
    I shall be contributing to the Moving into SLT seminar on 5th May.
     

  7. Thanks for your advice, it is very much appreciated!
     
  8. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    We look forward to you starting a brand-new thraed called Dear Theo - I got that jpb!
    _______________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.
    I shall be contributing to the Moving into SLT seminar on 5th May.
     

Share This Page