1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, Please Help Me

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by hkm1977, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,

I am completely disheartened. I have been applying for jobs since January and I'm not even getting interviews. I left work a couple of years ago as I had just had a baby and my husband's job meant we had to relocate. I handed in my notice, foolishly believing that I would be able to get another job quickly. However, I decided to wait as a year ago I fell pregnant again and didn't want to look before I had my second child.

It is really getting to me. I was a Second in Department at my last school and a really good teacher. Now I feel like rubbish. Agencies don't even bother calling me back. I know that I am expensive as I am on UPS2. As well as this I am applying for main scale jobs rather than ones with responsibility. Also, I haven't stepped in the classroom for two years (although I have been tutoring, writing and examining). What do you think I should do to give myself a chance? I called the Return to Teaching helpline and they have suggesting voluntary observations, as the Returners course has now been scrapped. The only problem is we are running out of cash and have two little babies to feed.

Thanks Theo, I really appreciate your help.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You are not the only one in this situation, although here is some hope this morning:
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/503743.aspx
    So some people do get jobs at UPS.
    It is difficult to give specific advice on the forum, so here is some general pointers for you to bear in mind. Although being out of the job market can be hard - do try doing volunteer work in a school, or helping with Cubs, Boys' Brigade, etc. Your exam work should be emphasised, by the way.
    Point 1 Are you getting notification of all possible jobs? Do several JobAlerts here on the TES Forum, for all your subjects, and then repeat them all for the independent schools.
    Point 2 Are you following the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread?
    Lots of posters have found it gets them interviews - and jobs. Headteachers say that they appreciate candidates who do what I advise.
    Please take Theo's advice!
    taking Theo's Advice
    The benefit of an executive summary
    read theo's advice and do the executive summary people, it really does work, seriously!!!!
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    Point 3 Are you making the most of all the advantages that come from any supply that yiu might do? Some applicants tend to be apologetic about supply; you should present it as a positive.
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    Point 4 Have you tried doing an interview practice with someone who will give you blunt feedback? You might, for example, being doing something quite simple, like screwing up your face in a glare when you are conisdering an answer, which can be very off-putting. And which a school is unlikely to tell you about.
    Point 5 And finally, if all has failed because you are already doing all this, then you should be thinking of getting on a train to come to one of the TES Advice seminars..
    Going to a seminar has worked for many posters
    Dear Theo.....I got the job!!!!!
    Dear Theo I got the job
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for details.
    Best of luck to you and the biuncing babes.
    !_____________________________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

3. For me, this post by hkm1977 really sums up my fears and concerns about what is happening to teachers at the moment. Sorry to hijack your thread slightly hkm1977! My heart goes out to you in this situation.
    I have read and heard so many similar stories to this and feel that the real potential losers in this recession are teachers like you and I, i.e. female and high up the pay scale. It makes me want to warn established, female teachers (who let's face it, are more likely to take time out for child-rearing / need to relocate based on a partner's job) WOMEN, BEWARE! DON'T EVER HAND IN YOUR NOTICE!!! The fight to get our careers back on track, or even just secure a permanent teaching post again is really, really tough.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sorry another hi-jacker, but I would totally concur with Rowntree's comments. I know if one has an OH it isn't always in our hands but it is really difficult for women to return- I've been trying to for 16 years!

5. Thank you so much to everyone for your comments. I will stay happy and focused and take all your comments on board. I have an interview to do some tutoring for the one-to-one programme a couple of days a week so hopefully that will keep the money coming in for now. I will also seriously follow Theo's advice and keep you all posted on my successes! I am thankful that I have two beautiful babies but have told my little sister who is also in teaching not to make the same mistake that I did when she decides to start a family. It is very tough out there!

6. Good luck with the interview. I have to agree -- I've been unable to get anything permanent since relocating because of my husband's job. I took two temporary posts but they've not led anywhere except to making me more expensive. And I would only be on MPS5 if I were working!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Having babies is actually a very worthy occupation - and one which gives you skills that can be used in the classroom.
    Including multi-tasking, time management and not bursting into tears with frustration!
    Let's hope that you can all combine Babies and Jobs . . .
    Best wishes

._____________________________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.