1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, please help : Interview for a Head of ICT (independent primary)

Discussion in 'Independent' started by tranquil, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,

I was wondering whether you may be able to help me.

I have an interview next week for a Head of ICT in an independent primary school. I am a secondary trained Teacher with QTS and 7 years teaching experience in ICT where 5 of them were in the independent secondary sector.

(My degree is in ICT and I have as well industry experience).

My main worry is for next week that I haven't got experience in primary apart from the bonus that I have worked for five years in the independent Secondary sector.

What questions do you think they may ask me , especially a question such as "Have you ever been a Head of ICT"

(I was second in charge in my previous school but not Head , although I can do the job very well).

Any ideas much appreciated !!!!

Many thanks

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Surely they can tell from your application that you haven't!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for that interview! For general interview advice, go to the Welcome thread in the JobSeekers Forum. For specific indy interview advice, do a search on this Indy Forum, search interview.
    The obvious thing that they will ask is How will you transfer your skills at secondary level into primary? Part of your reply will be that you taught years 7 and 8, who are not that much different from 5 and 6, especially state 7 and 8 who will be less advanced probably than indy 5 and 6. I once got my year 8 niece (state) to sit the entrance exam for my school (sat by year 6), and she wouldn't have got a place. That was to show my sister that she needed to do something about the level being achieved at the local secondary.
    You seem to have a lot to offer them - make sure that you read the advice in the JobSeekers to prepare to tell them all about it!
    Good luck
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me in on Saturday 2 April.
    www.tesweekendworkshop19.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!