1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo please advise

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by vincemoran, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I would like some advice on my current situation. I hope that you can help.
    I qualified with a PGCE (DT) in September 2010. I had been in the Enginering industry (Mechanical and Electronics) for over twenty years and I have a National Diploma, HND, BSC (Hons) and MEng in Engineering and Technology subjects. I am 43 years old and live in Yorkshire.
    I had wanted to teach for about ten years and had some experience of teaching as an instructor with the cadet forces.
    This being the situation, I gave up a good job in industry to train to be a teacher. I did my research and was informed that teaching roles were out there, that teaching was a good area to work in and that it would be highly rewarding, etc. I was also informed that as an ex-engineer I would be in demand.
    Since qualifying, I have been a supply teacher only and have recently been working as a technician to a DT department in a secondary school. I have joined 14 supply agencies and the work has been inconsistent to say the least. There is hardly any work for supply teachers at all.
    I have not been able to gain a post despite the fact that I applied for every one that comes up on TES and on other websites. I have obtained advice from every quarter, adapted my applications, written 'cold' letters to every school, communicated with every one who could help and generally tried everything humanly possible.It was never this hard to gain a post in engineering.
    If I was doing anything wrong in my applications I would have realised it by now. I really have tried everything.
    Added to this I understand that the time limit for me to find a post as an NQT will run out in January 2013. I really dont know what to do. It would appear that I have wated my time. Perhaps it would be best to give up. To say that this is frustrating is an understatement.
    If you can give me some thoughts on this I would appreciate your comments.
    Kind Regards,
    Vince

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh vincemoran![​IMG]
    Unfortunately the government, unis etc have persisted with this myth about there being a teacher shortage for years now - whereas the reality is far from that. You are like so many pprospective teachers who have given up successful careers to 'Use their head -Teach!' only to find themselves competing among the large numbers of applicants for each and every post.
    My heart goes out to all caught within this current situation, I'm reluctantly having to 'give up' on returning to teaching and looking at alternative roles myself. So I sympathise with your plight.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear, oh dear!
    I really feel for you. I know how it must feel, giving up a secure well-paid job to follow a dream that has just disappeared into thin air. I get really quite cross at the thought of those people who encouraged prospective teachers, only then to set spending limits on schools which leaves many of them with little chance of getting a job.
    I have only a few slight suggestions.
    Firstly:
    Not necessarily. I see a lot of applications, and some of them are dire, they don't show the skills and strengths of the candidates at all. But the candidates themselves assure me that they are good applications, that they have had advice, that a Headteacher has looked at them, etc. But they are still dire. And - excuse me for saying this - the proof of the pudding is in the eating. If your applications aren't getting you an interview, then they are not doing the job that they are designed for. As an engineer, you must see that if it doesn't work, then there's a design fault!
    Have you read this? It could give a few tips that could help.
    How to get that teaching job
    Have you also been applying to Independent schools?
    Yes you can do your Induction Year in an Independent School
    And how about FE Colleges? they won't work for induction, but it's a job.
    This I am not sure about - there has been some talk of changing the limit. Ask on the NQT Forum what the situation is.
    Best wishes