1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo/Piano teachers recruitment

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Alkistis, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    Could you please inform me how international schools recruit instrumental teachers? I know that a considerable number of them include musical instruments on their activities but I have been looking for months and have never seen any announcements concerning my field. Because of that I do not know how to proceed.
    I am looking forward to hearing from you.
    your sincerely,
    Alkistis

2. Dear Theo,
    Could you please inform me how international schools recruit instrumental teachers? I know that a considerable number of them include musical instruments on their activities but I have been looking for months and have never seen any announcements concerning my field. Because of that I do not know how to proceed.
    I am looking forward to hearing from you.
    your sincerely,
    Alkistis

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

This very much depends upon how you phrase the question.
    Are you a music teacher or a piano instructor? The first is recruited through normal channels as with any other teaching position. Bearing in mind that the average school will only have a couple of music staff, positions will not appear that often.
    If you are an instructor, then I'm afraid it is much more difficult to find a position. My experience has been that the recruitment of such staff is either through word-of-mouth or through personal relationships, i.e. the music teacher meets another musician through orchestra or choir meetings outside school and recruits. I have never heard of a school hiring instrumental instructors from abroad. There would be no point as plenty are available locally who are first rate musicians.
    Good luck.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I imagine that international schools are likely only to advertise locally for instrumental tutors. Your best bet might be to write to the director of music of any schools in the area(s) in which you wish to work, to enquire if there are any vacancies and to ask for your details to be kept on file should any arise. Also, of course, check the websites of international schools for vacancies.

5. sah79

sah79 Occasional commenter

If you are a piano teacher looking to move abroad you might be better looking for jobs in 'music schools' which recruit internationally and generally offer full time instrumental teaching positions. A lot of countries which have big expat communities have music schools, teaching expat and local children as well as adult students. Most of them do advertise on TES, Bermuda and the Caymans are the only music schools I have personal experience of, but they offer packages similar to most international schools.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My guess - and it's only a guess - is that these are poorly-paid locally hired people with little or no job security.
    It would not be the same conditions of employment nor pay that the subject teachers get.
    But why not ask this question on the Teaching Overseas Forum?
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars