1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Philosophy of Education

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Apr 10, 2012.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Ok, off we start again, Luc! Thanks for numbers, really helpoful.
    Q1 Goodness knows! How much spce on the form? I would add to fill it, but not over-fill it, leave margins top and bottom and sides so there's white space.
    Actually, I'll tell you a big secret. I couldn't write a philosophy of eduication if my life depended on it! At least, not more than about two sentences.
    Q2 Yes, that sounds good.
    Q3 I just don't know what they are expecting, sorry. As you can guess, I'm not too keen on these . . . I believe more in what you actually do in the classroom, so that's why I like Q2
    Q4 I think that's boring, myself, to drag all that in to the philosophy or the personal statement.
    And i remember an occasioin where an application was rejected because it gave us a critique of some recent initiative that we hadn't asked them to talk about.
    If anything, I'd save the recent stuff for interview.
    Best wishes

2. Haha.. yes I know the feeling.. I don't really know where to start as we just tend to 'do it' rather than 'philosophise' about it!

Thanks for your help.. I think they want me to include it in my personal statement though:
    "candidates should outline in their application their philosophy of education, their classroom management approach and their curriculum strengths"

So I think i'll do a paragraph for each relating to examples, then a paragraph for each point (8 points)in the job advert, then cover the person spec (20 points) in the exec summary (grouped, omitted and summarised)... Does this sound right?!

Thanks again x

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, speaking as someone who just hates the philosophy of ed bit . . . yes, it sounds about right.
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes

4. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

I would understand philosophy of education to mean- what do you believe in as a teacher? As much as theoretical knowledge. They want to know about YOU, what YOU think, not how well you can write an essay on blabla person, surely.
    Surely we all write about this in our personal statement "I believe in nurturing the whole child, developing trust and using a range of learning styles " etc etc. I've just made that up but you get what I mean.
    Personally, I would make sure it is based on classroom practice and not lines out of a book kind of stuff. ;)

5. Completely agree Dizzy.. i'd never seen it asked for as a bullet point though so just wanted to clear that up! I feel it just makes things all the more waffle-y.. but hey ho, have done my best.. in the post with that one tomorrow!

6. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Well done.
    In the post? Doesn't everyone email?

7. For some reason I still prefer to post.. even though I do everything else online! Guess I like to make sure everything looks right on paper. x