1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo....personal statement writer's block!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Monkeyguy82, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Thanks for that advice, I've had a look at an executive summary and am doing one right now!
    I don't think there's a way around talking about the school I'm at, though like you say I should treat the fact I'm there and who I am as separate and not assume any prior knowledge.
    Another question - Is the phrase "Should I be appointed...." acceptable or is that too presumptuous?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Why? You <u>are</u> trying to convince them you want to work there and want the job, after all.

3. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Agreed LaraMFL!
    If you have the structure planned out then is it topic sentences for the main body paragraphs you are struggling with?

4. Yeah, it's just where to start from the Job Spec really. I've just finished a draft Exec Summary and that's given me some ideas. Some of my sentence beginnings just read slightly strangely IMO, but when I ask a few people to look at it I guess I'll really know whether they're odd or not!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Super!
    I have been out and about with Year 1 (don't ask, don't ask - I was in charge of the wipes . . .) and while I was away we have had some excellent advice from those who know me well, you have followed it, found it very helpful (see? Writing the executive summary first is VERY useful for the statement!), and are now almost ready to go . . .
    I really have nothing to add to this, except to say that you cannot expect it to be easy, I'm afraid, and it is absolutely essential that you pretend to yourself that the school doesn't know you, so that you don't think "I don't need to tell them that - they know all about me".
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com