1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, Personal Statement - how long?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sensei123, Mar 13, 2011.

1. I'm currently finishing off an application for a school I have worked in on supply.
    The school invited me to apply for the position, so I am very keen to impress.
    I have written a very comprehensive personal statement but it is 4 pages long. Should I shorten it?
    I have included lots of examples to show how I meet the person spec, and I am loathe to take these out, but I don't want to put them off with an overly long personal statement.
    I usually write about 2 pages for a personal statement - what length should it be?

2. I'm currently finishing off an application for a school I have worked in on supply.
    The school invited me to apply for the position, so I am very keen to impress.
    I have written a very comprehensive personal statement but it is 4 pages long. Should I shorten it?
    I have included lots of examples to show how I meet the person spec, and I am loathe to take these out, but I don't want to put them off with an overly long personal statement.
    I usually write about 2 pages for a personal statement - what length should it be?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Personally I would have thought your expected length would be about a page, 2 pages maximum.
    So you're going to have to try to whittle down some of those statements-possibly too comprehensive?
    Have you tried putting the info in a bullet point type table? Makes you realise how you could slim things down.

4. Thanks Lara, I'm working my way though it now - whittling out some of the "waffle", but trying to keep the main points.
    I've cut out a few examples, and shortened others. Hoping I can get down to 2 pages.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

2 pages is the normal length.

You could always add some of the bits you trim out to your Executive Summary (See Theo's thread at the top of this forum).

Remember you don't need to tell them all the details, leave something to talk about in an interview.

Good Luck.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yep.
    2 pages.
    2 pages in a normal-sized font - say calibri 12 or Arial 11 as the smallest.
    Don't think you can put it down to times 9 and fit more in!
    And reasonable margins too.
    Do readt he shortlisting clickables in the Welcome thread att he top - full of hints.
    Best wishes
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Fingers crossed sensei123. Best wishes!

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done, and of course we all wish you luck, loads of it!______________________________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    The TES Careers Advice service runs seminars and workshops, one-to-one careers and applications advice, one-to-one interview coaching and an application review service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me in on Saturday 2 April.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done, and of course we all wish you luck, loads of it!______________________________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    The TES Careers Advice service runs seminars and workshops, one-to-one careers and applications advice, one-to-one interview coaching and an application review service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me in on Saturday 2 April.