1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: personal statement/covering letter/executive summary/ relevant experience

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by weetweet, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Hello there!
    I am currently applying for a school and filling up their application form.

On section of the form says : "Section 5 ? Relevant Experience and Skills
    Please indicate how you satisfy the criteria set out in the Person Specification drawing on evidence from your personal and work experience (paid or unpaid) education and training. Particular attention should be given to providing examples against each competency listed. Please refer to the guidance notes for further information. Please continue on a separate sheet if necessary.
    "

Usually I would put there my personal statement, but then towards the end of the form, there is space left and it says "You may paste a covering letter, CV or any additional information here below"

So now I am slightly confused
    Should I put my executive summary into Section 5, and my personal statement at the end, or the opposite?

Also one tiny question: Is it usual for schools to ask for references before the deadline stated on their advert? I have had a couple of schools asking my referees for reference before the deadline, while others remain silent. So now I am starting to worry that if they haven't asked for references before the deadline that means they are not interested, while some of my friends tell me that schools usually wait until they have received all applications to start looking at them and asking for references...

THANKS for your help!

2. Sorry, this had paragraphs I swear!