1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - pay q

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by favouritecolourblue, Nov 10, 2011.

1. favouritecolourblue

favouritecolourblue New commenter

Dear Theo,
    I have been working in an independent boarding school for five years. I am now looking for HOD jobs and one school that has caught my eye is a state grammar school that sounds like an exciting place to work. I know it will be a popular school but I want to submit an application and cross my fingers. I have been a second in a large department for two years so feel I am ready for the move.
    My current school has its own salary scale and so I am unsure how the pay system works in the state sector. I've looked it up but just want to check I have understood the scale correctly. If a post says TLR 1.2 = 9,012 pounds, what could I expect to be paid if that is added to five years teaching experience (plus PGCE and subject MA if that counts)?
    Many thanks.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theo would probably say go and post on Pay and Conditions.
    However from my understanding TLR is paid on top of your 'standard pay' (National Pay Scale) which you can check here somehwhere. I imagine that would be M6 for you and is roughly around the £31, 000 line, so £9,000 on top would bring it to about £40k, but I'm willing to be told otherwise by an expertwho has greater knowledge.
    I'd try and give you the link but I'm just off out but try a quick search on this site, I've found it before now and try on Pay and Conditions.

3. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

I agree with Lara - it sounds as if you would be on M6 and TLR goes on top of that. Each year of teaching (inc. NQT year) gives you a 'point' on the main pay scale (unless something horrible happens and for some reason you are not moved up - you would know if you were in this category). Any TLR would be paid on top of this basic pay.
    Good luck with the job!

4. favouritecolourblue

favouritecolourblue New commenter

Thanks for replying. That's what I'd calculated myself but I just wanted to double check :)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, Theo would say Go and ask on Pay & Conditions! :)
    You must remember that a school wishing to be difficult could decide not to recognise your years experience in an indy school, but most will.
    Good luck - don't forget to read the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars