1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - past employment layout/ PGCE placements question

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by VelvetChalk, May 2, 2012.

1. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

Hey, just a quick question about laying out experience and explaining reasons for leaving. I generally worked/ doing voluntary work/ in education full time until the months before my PGCE due to caring for my dad in 2008 (June -September unemployed and always put caring for a relative as my reason). Backstory -When I was applying for my PGCE my mum passed away in March 2008, I continued to do voluntary TA work until my dad needed help in June and accepted a PGCE place for the 2008/2009 academic year. I was in autopilot and managed well up until February 2009 where during my second placement I broke down and quit it. My university gave me the option to retake my placement and the remaining one next academic year So I was PGCEing 2008-2010 with one placement completed and a tester placement in 08/09 and remaining 2 completed 09/10 year. Questions 1) Is it wise to put my PGCE as a 2 year one 2008-2010 (looking like part time one) as I spent the first year doing my actual PGCE and essays and the 2nd year waiting for doing remaining placements, thus couldn't get a job. 2) I always put my work history as recent first at the top then going down- is this correct? 3) I have heard of NQTS putting their PGCE placements on their employment/work history. I am not keen on doing this as a)my placements are September 2008, June-July 2009, Feb-March 2010 and June-July 2010 and look odd with gaps! b) My uni screwed up admin so they are all KS1 placements. Sorry I keep asking questions, just trying to get it perfect :) Thanks!

2. VelvetChalk

Hey, just a quick question about laying out experience and explaining reasons for leaving. I generally worked/ doing voluntary work/ in education full time until the months before my PGCE due to caring for my dad in 2008 (June -September unemployed and always put caring for a relative as my reason). Backstory -When I was applying for my PGCE my mum passed away in March 2008, I continued to do voluntary TA work until my dad needed help in June and accepted a PGCE place for the 2008/2009 academic year. I was in autopilot and managed well up until February 2009 where during my second placement I broke down and quit it. My university gave me the option to retake my placement and the remaining one next academic year So I was PGCEing 2008-2010 with one placement completed and a tester placement in 08/09 and remaining 2 completed 09/10 year. Questions 1) Is it wise to put my PGCE as a 2 year one 2008-2010 (looking like part time one) as I spent the first year doing my actual PGCE and essays and the 2nd year waiting for doing remaining placements, thus couldn't get a job. 2) I always put my work history as recent first at the top then going down- is this correct? 3) I have heard of NQTS putting their PGCE placements on their employment/work history. I am not keen on doing this as a)my placements are September 2008, June-July 2009, Feb-March 2010 and June-July 2010 and look odd with gaps! b) My uni screwed up admin so they are all KS1 placements. Sorry I keep asking questions, just trying to get it perfect :) Thanks!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thanks for the numbers! I'd better say Thank goodness for the numbers, with everything all squashed up together in one paragraph!
    For Safari (Apple), Android and Google Chrome, you need to put in where you want a new paragraph.
    Right, that's sorted.
    Q1 You must put the truthful dates, so do it as two years. If you feel that it would be helpful, you could have a brief note in your letter along these lines: My PGCE course was successfully completed over a period of two years, during which time I also acted as a family carer and suffered the double bereavement of both parents.
    Q2 Yes, that's usually what they want
    Q3 I only advise students seeking their first post to put in their placements. you don't need to put them at all if you don't want to.
    You have read all the advice in the shortlisting clickables in the Welcome thread, haven't you?
    Best wishes

4. VelvetChalk

Thanks for the advice, sorry about the paragraphs...I assure you it was neatly laid out!
    I am an NQT as Ive been supplying for a year or so but thanks for reassuring me I dont need to put them as I was in a panic I might need to, or do I? I think the note is a good idea, although my dad is still alive thankfully I just had to care for him in his bereavement. I read the clickables but I've had a lot of conflciting advice recent weeks so wanted to clarify. Thanks again! :)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You see, you CAN do paragraphs!
    Hope things get better and better for you.
    Best wishes