1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo... Part Time Teaching Positions

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mazman, Mar 2, 2011.

1. mazman

mazman New commenter

Dear Theo,
    I would like to know how common part time teaching positions are. I'm currently teaching 4 days a week and would like to continue working part time when I relocate next year. However, I never really see part time jobs advertise and I wondered if they exist at all!
    Thanks

2. mazman

mazman New commenter

Dear Theo,
    I would like to know how common part time teaching positions are. I'm currently teaching 4 days a week and would like to continue working part time when I relocate next year. However, I never really see part time jobs advertise and I wondered if they exist at all!
    Thanks

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Are you primary or secondary? Subject?
    This will make a difference.
    Best wishes
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. mazman

mazman New commenter

secondary MFL
    thanks

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

MFL may be a bit more in demand with the EBacc, but we've yet to see how many schools take up the baton again.
    I'm mfl myself & in the last 20 years I've seen one part-time job advertised in my (admittedly rural) area.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Ah!
    Secondary is a tad more difficult. As you say, there are not many PT positions advertised, and if they are, the timetable may not be very helpful to you, with things scattered all over the week. Part-time in Primary can be more whole days.
    And MFL . . . Well, you know as well as I do that MFL teaching has declined over the past few years. Lara's point about the Ebac is a very valid one, but don't hold your breath.
    Have you tried looking at the websites of the Local Councils near you? And the local newspapers? Many feel that national advertising isn't worth it for a p-t post, as people are not likely to move house for that.
    This may be the exception to the rule where it is actually worth writing a speculative letter to a school, saying what you can offer, and asking - this is important - where they would advertise any p-t jobs that they were to offer.
    Best of luck.
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

7. mazman

mazman New commenter

Thanks very much. This is all useful advice!