1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - part time request

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by gld202, Mar 11, 2016.

1. gld202

gld202 New commenter

Dear Theo,

I have read your post about how to write a letter to request returning part time but I still have a couple of questions I'm hoping you can help me with...

I've been on maternity leave since 01/12/15 and plan on returning to work in July. I moved counties to this school so was not entitled to SMP but got MA.

Q1. When do I have to submit my request to return part time?

Q2. Can I go back full time in July but request to go part time in September? (I know this would be cheeky but just wondered if it was possible!)

Q3. Possibly most importantly am I entitled to request to go part time as I have only been employed by this LA since September?

Thanks very much

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Congratulations on that new baby! And thank you for the nice neat numbered questions.

Q1 As soon as possible, to allow the school to plan.

Q2 Yes. :)

Q3 Yes, after 26 weeks service with the employer. So start counting up the weeks - I make it fine, but you need to count them yourself to be sure.

Best wishes

3. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

Just a little aside about the returning in July bit.

You may want to 'get your hand back in' for a week or so in July but if it is in order to have some funds again over the summer do remember that you do not need to leave your baby and do the work bit if you don't want to. You can declare yourself back to work on the first day of the summer hols on full-time pay and then return part time (if agreed) in September.

I did this after 2 maternity leaves which was lovely. Just putting it here as I don't think everyone knows that is a possibility.

4. gld202

gld202 New commenter

Thank you both for your replies, that's really helpful.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)