1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Paper application form... Handwritten personal statement?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Sillow, May 4, 2012.

1. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Just as it says, really. I'll be filling out the other parts in pen, but wondered whether to start handwriting the supporting statement and continuing on the computer, or to handwrite the whole thing, or to type the whole thing separately and write in the box on the form "see attached sheets".
    I'd like to do the latter, but hope it doesn't sound too rude!
    Also, Theo, if I do type my supporting statement on separate sheets, should I then include an additional separate sheet with my executive summary? As they'll basically say the same thing?
    Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Just as it says, really. I'll be filling out the other parts in pen, but wondered whether to start handwriting the supporting statement and continuing on the computer, or to handwrite the whole thing, or to type the whole thing separately and write in the box on the form "see attached sheets".
    I'd like to do the latter, but hope it doesn't sound too rude!
    Also, Theo, if I do type my supporting statement on separate sheets, should I then include an additional separate sheet with my executive summary? As they'll basically say the same thing?
    Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Why are you handwriting the form?
    You could ask for an electronic copy.
    Or you could photocopy it (so you have a back up), then neatly type out all the bits on a piece of paper, cut them out, stick them on the photocopied form, then re-photocopy it (so that you don't send them a form with stuck-on bits).
    Time-consuming but so much neater.
    No, no, you wouldn't do that! You have read all my advice in the Shortlisting clickables and elsewhere that tell you never to do that!
    Do they really? Do you mean to say that normally you don't bother to send in a summary, as it is the same as your letter, more or less?
    Hmn . . .
    Best wishes

4. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Sorry, I suppose I'm not very good at this applying lark.
    I have read ALL of your advice several times, honest. I'm just not entirely sure how I can apply it to my own application form.
    The supporting statement says to show how I fulfill the person spec. I thought that was also the job of the executive summary? I can't write a letter of application giving lots of fab details and not link it to the person spec, if that's what they ask for, can I?
    Also, the box on the form for the statement is about 3 inches long. I can't fit much in there and it does say to continue on a separate sheet if necessary. Which is definitely necessary!
    I'm sorry, I'm just confused by all the different forms and getting my head around exactly what I should be sending the schools. I suppose this is why I haven't been shortlisted yet. I need to figure out what I'm doing first!
    Thank you.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, it can be confusing, don't worry.
    Write the executive summary first. Keep it to one side only.
    Dear Theo - exec summary for VERY long person spec
    Having done the summary, which is very precisely linked to the wording of the person spec, but in a condensed, summarised form so that they have an "At-A-Glance" viewof how you fit their criteria, you then have a clearer view of how to write the letter/statement so that it fitst he schools' needs.
    Now write the letter/statement. Much of it will be similar to the summary, but in actual sentences that flow well. It will also contain more general stuff about you, your experience perhaps, your philosophy of education (hate that phrase!), etc.
    If you haven't got an electronic copy of the application form, and cannot fir a statement on the tiny space that you have (as seems to be the case here), then start it on the form as they ask - make sure that you have a good punchy beginning fitting their criteria so that they want to read the rest!
    Then have the rest of your statement - with your name on it - on separate sheets, and the executive summary too.
    Hope this makes it clearer!
    N.B. I shall not visit this thread again, so you will need to start a new one with any further questions.
    Best wishes

6. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Thank you very, very much, Theo. I re-read your shortlisting info and was really trying to fit it ask to my application but was still unsure. Spelling it out so literally really helps, it is all much clearer now!

I hope you do visit again just to read my thanks. I will definitely be including an executive summary on this one. Thank you, thank you!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

:)
    I am not supposed to re-visit, but cannot resist.
    I am not supposed to do more than 6 hrs perweek, in total, with 2-3 visits per week.
    :) :)
    I do 3-4 visits per day, and well over 20 hours.
    Mad, that's me!
    :) :) :)
    Best wishes