1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Panic attack

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by pobi81, May 18, 2011.

1. Been out of the classroom since 2009 after being diagnosed with Chronic Kidney disease, and I just started dialysis two weeks ago (overnight type). I have been keeping an eye out for jobs and have applied for a few but struggled with personal statement because I don't have up-to-date experience. I've applied for a job for which the start date is Sept 2009 and I just received a call inviting me for an interview for TOMORROW. Obviously I have accepted, but I am now having a panic attack. It seems silly but I really didn't think I would be short listed, let alone this soon. PLUS I have to teach a top set class. I feel out of my debt, not because I can't teach but my confidence is low. I think mainly because I haven't been near a school since 2009.

Help and advice desperately needed!!!

P.s this is my first app I haven't explained fully my substantial ill health but they know I have a disability, but didn't go into to too much detail.

my heart is pounding

2. Hi- I don't really know what Theo would say but heres what I think.

Firstly - congratulations on getting an interview.... that alone should give you a boost as it's not easy to do. They must see something in you that they like or they wouldn't have invited you.

Secondly - don't worry about them not knowing the full details of the illness, if you WOW them tomorrow then they will make it work for you and them.
    Thirdly - pick a learning objective and plan an outstanding lesson. If you believe in your lesson and believe in yourself they will too,
    I know this is all easier to say than do but if you go in thinking you can't do it they'll see that. Is there anyone that you can run your lesson past, or can ask you interview questions. There's a list of possible questions on here which may help.

I've had people asking me questions and find it helps when the question is asked in interview as I already know what i'm going to say.
    Good Luck
    Sarah x

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, well done on getting that interview!
    The very fact that they have chosen to interview you speaks volumes.
    They believe in you. They think that you have masses to offer the school. They think that you could be a really good colleague to have.
    So go in there and show them that they are right!
    Have a quick look at the interview tips inside the Welcome thread. And make sure that your lesson plan has differentiation on it - including differentiation up, for the high-flyers.
    Best of luck!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

P.S. you don't have to give the school details of your illness if you don't want to. I'm pleased to her that it seems to be controlled for you now.

I
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

5. Thanks Sarah and Theo,

I will let you know how it goes!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Glad you feel good about it.
    If you get the job, start a new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    Best wishes

I
    appreciate.