1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, OTT with QTS seeks advice

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ada2011, Jul 20, 2011.

1. I am a national of Romania, chemistry teacher - secondary education. I got my QTS from GTC last September. I am currently teaching in my home country but seeking a teaching job in UK. I can not apply via TDA as I already hold QTS. I found several recruitment agencies, pleasantly immpressed regarding my experience and achievements as a teacher but there is the same old problem. The work permit. I could get one if have been offered a teaching position. On the other hand an employer will only send me an offer provided I already have a work permit. It seems that I go round and round for nothing but the same vicious circle. I would gladly apply for a proffessional development course or else if necessary. I just can not figure out what else to do. Please advice me if possible.
    Thank you

2. I am a national of Romania, chemistry teacher - secondary education. I got my QTS from GTC last September. I am currently teaching in my home country but seeking a teaching job in UK. I can not apply via TDA as I already hold QTS. I found several recruitment agencies, pleasantly immpressed regarding my experience and achievements as a teacher but there is the same old problem. The work permit. I could get one if have been offered a teaching position. On the other hand an employer will only send me an offer provided I already have a work permit. It seems that I go round and round for nothing but the same vicious circle. I would gladly apply for a proffessional development course or else if necessary. I just can not figure out what else to do. Please advice me if possible.
    Thank you

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Why do you need a work permit if you're an EU national?

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. I am also sorry to have to tell you that I cannot advise you on this, as it is noyt my area of expertise.
    I suggest that you contact the British Embassy in your own country to ask for further information on the regulations surrounding working in the UK for a Romanian national.
    You should be aware, however, that there is generally a surplus of qualified teachers who have experience of the Engliah examination system and schools. Also, I don't believe that the TDA can help anyone with job searching, as that is not its role.
    I hope that you can get the information that you need. Best wishes
    ._____________________________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate