1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo & others - Deputy head of faculty power point presentations ?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Gimenez2010, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Gimenez2010

Gimenez2010 New commenter

Dear Theo & others,

I have just handed in a letter of application for dep head of faculty for an internal post ( no external candidates were invited). You may remember me as the poster " not in the in crowd" who has been working at the same school for a long time ...it's not perfect but I still love it !

I am very interested in introducing intervention in my faculty and have managed to secure significant materials for not only my faculty but for other faculties too .. my priority will obviously be my own faculty

My question is would it be appropriate for me to present this at interview via a power point presentation..I could make it brief and relevant to the interview ( ie want can you bring to the faculty ?)

My other question is should I present how I have increased attainment in several of my teaching groups again via power point making reference to my faculty ( I always give credit to our excellent dept and other post holders as I am a strong believer in team work). For example although my groups have achieved really well I do believe it is because of the excellent direction by by Hof which has allowed our team to produce excellent well thought out resources) ...I am going on now ..sorry maybe I am asking too specific questions.

Personally I would prefer to talk rather than present but I could do both.

Please share your thoughts on this..

Huge thanks

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

I would be surprised if there was the opportunity to show a PPT. Most likey senario is they ask questions you answer. Have you had any recent interview experience?

What you are wanting to say might be one very smal part of an answer, if you get asked a question that allows to say it. Which to be fair is very likely.

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Have you actually been offered an interview?

If not, don't jump the gun.

I'm not sure why you've gathered materials together for other Faculties. That's the business for those HoFs, under direction of SLT - unless of course, you have been asked to do this.

4. Gimenez2010

No the last interview experience I had was over 10 years ago so Wanet is right to ask me this and you have confirmed what I thought about interviews.

Cwadd I have been unofficially asked for interview but yes no formal letter .I was selected to accompany students on a trip but then told not to go on it because the interviews are around that time. I wouldn't be surprised if indeed I am not officially selected for interview but it looks at the moment that I am. The turn around period is very short so I wanted to prepare as I'm no natural at interviews.

The materials offered to me for other faculties happened by default and were as a result of my middle management task which was looking a trialling intervention for a year group which I belong too. It was based on literacy and numeracy relevant to all subjects and certain Hofs of other faculties are extremely interested. I wasn't asked to collect them neither did I ask ..they were given to me ( which really surprised me) but luckily fit in perfectly with my intervention as well as being very useful to other faculties. Of course if they are interested they will manage their use and obviously not me.

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Intervention is a lot more than producing materials.

There are a lot of other aspects you will be asked about.

You will also probably be asked a child protection question. Probably, because you are a internal applicant, if you were external it would be definetly. 10 years ago this might not have been the case.

Don't take this the wrong way, but, if what you wrote about initially is what you want to focus on for the interview, I fear that you are going to be disappointed.

6. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

What do you mean unofficially asked? You've either been invited by letter or email or not. As I said, don't jump the gun.

You seem to get handed or told a lot of things. For someone who claims they not in the in crowd you seem to be at the centre of a lot of things.

7. Gimenez2010

Thanks for your replies.

Wanet I expect to be asked several questions about the role of deputy head of faculty not just intervention which I know is definitely not just about providing materials which was my whole point about the short presentation ..but I would prefer to just briefly explain this at interview...so I am in agreement with your comments.

Cwadd I have already clearly explained what I meant by unofficially invited. I just wanted a little advice on the style of interviews these days as I have not applied for a position for several years. I think your comment making reference to not being in the in crowd was uncalled for if not a little curt.

The things that I am handed are mainly because I am doing a middle management course which I intend to do thoroughly. I get the impression (forgive me if I am wrong) that you think me a busy body trying to do things that do not concern me or that are above my role which is certainly not the case.

Anyway thank you for your help which I do appreciate.

I will let you know what happens.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

OK, OK, let's cut through the trees here.

You may or may not be going for an interview, but if you do, remember that they are pulling the strings not you.

Somebody expecting to give a PP presentation when not invited to do so would be VERY off-putting. You may as well say Hang on - I'll just pull a rabbit and 20 yards of streamers out of the vase over there.

So no recent interview experience on either side of the table? Then you need to get down to studying!

Preparing for Interview I suggest that you read these in this order.

I have included some that are not relevant to you for the benefit of other posters who may read this.

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

<h4>Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question? ***NEW ***</h4>
    Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

<h4>Interviews &ndash; making a positive first impression ***NEW ***</h4>
    How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me!

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview

These should give you the preparation tips to ensure that you really show off your skills in the interview.

If a blog is helpful, don't forget to Red-Heart it by clicking on the black heart at the end.

[​IMG]

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

9. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You're the one who originally claimed they weren't "in the in crowd." And brought it up again at the top of the thread. Your subsequent posts have claimed you are involved in disputes between senior staff, the go to for people with personal problems...it does not sound to me like you are on the fringe. That's my point. People do not get people involved in things like that unless they trust them.

As for the interview - and I still say you should wait for a letter or email, sorry, I do not hold with this "unofficial" invite that you've interpreted - Wanet has actually pointed out that you will be asked more than questions about the role of Deputy HoF - safeguarding, for example. That's part of everyone's role. Unless you are asked about intervention, you are not going to need to take materials. And you won't know about the questions until you're in the interview.

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You cannot do a presentation unless you are specifically asked to do one. And you cannot use Powerpoint at such a presentation unless they say you can.

As Theo points, out, you most definitely cannot jump the gun and try to 'drive' the inerview to suit your own purposes. If a candidate had come into one of my interviews and said they wanted to do a presentation without being asked, they'd have been told "NO, you can't" - we'd have thought it a tad bizarre if they thought they could, moreover.

11. Gimenez2010

Thank you all for your helpful comments. I will prepare as I initially thought. I suppose I was over thinking which I why I wanted advice from the forum.

Theo thanks for the links they are great!

Cwadd ...point taken and thanks for the advice

Middlemarch I would certainly not drive the interview to suit my needs which is why I stated if it is relevant to the interview. But if asked what could you bring to the faculty in terms of ideas and experience I do think that briefly explaining the intervention would be a great idea. I am not referring to literally bringing any materials into the interview at all ( I think this was previously implied)

I will wait for an official invite ..yes it may not happen.

Anyway I am still going to prepare for the interview questions as it has been quite a while regardless of whether they call me for interview or not.

Huge thanks for your opinions and links.

12. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You didn't imply you would bring materials - you asked specifically about taking a power point!

If that's not literally I don't know what is!

If you are going to ask for advice, could you please be more consistent? You say "point taken" but I really doubt it is.

And yes, this is curt.

13. Gimenez2010

Thanks for advice. I do take your point Cwadd and I accept all your helpful criticisms as I know that you are a very supportive poster trying to help all of us.

I'll let you know what happens.

14. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You are correct. I am supportive.

But you really need to actually TAKE advice, and act upon it. As a Deputy HoF you will be in the firing line if the HoF is absent. If the HoF or your SLT link gives you advice - you act on it. You don't interpret what you choose, then when caught up, suddenly start the whole "point taken" schtick.

Over and out!!

15. Gimenez2010

Absolutely!

16. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

There is something very wrong about the fact that I, only a HoD with just 10 years experience, is pointing this out to someone who claims to have over 20 years and doing a Middle Leaders course, and who is applying for Deputy HoF.

17. Gimenez2010

Yes maybe ...but I am grateful to you for that and I will act on your advice.

18. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You're much better off taking Theo's advice.

READ. HER. BLOGS.

And use the advice they contain!!

19. Gimenez2010

Yes they are great...brilliant links all put together .

Many thanks