1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo or others - Personal statement - reason for changing job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ozzie777, May 2, 2012.

1. Ozzie777

Ozzie777 New commenter

Please could I have some advice? Should I put in my personal statement my reason for wanting to change jobs or is it better to leave that until the interview stage?
    I was considering putting in a statement such as:
    "Whilst
    I very much enjoy teaching at School XYZ, my aspiration is to teach to one of my core
    academic strengths to students at “A” level."
    (I currently teach a subject that I have no formal qualifications in).
    I am only into my second term of teaching, but looking for something closer to home and at sixth form level.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Ozzie777

Ozzie777 New commenter

Please could I have some advice? Should I put in my personal statement my reason for wanting to change jobs or is it better to leave that until the interview stage?
    I was considering putting in a statement such as:
    "Whilst
    I very much enjoy teaching at School XYZ, my aspiration is to teach to one of my core
    academic strengths to students at “A” level."
    (I currently teach a subject that I have no formal qualifications in).
    I am only into my second term of teaching, but looking for something closer to home and at sixth form level.
    Thanks in advance.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Personally I wouldn't put anything like "Whilst
    academic strengths to students at “A” level
    ." as if you read it back it does look as though you are in some way criticising your own school. Perhaps " I would like to increase my expertise/ expand opportunities in my xxxx degree subject and would enjoy the chance to really explore the possiblities of xxx teaching at sixth form level'.
    Other option is to say you'd 'enjoy teaching in xxx area, where you grew up/ have family' whatever
    I'm sure you can think of something.
    Just make sure it's positive .

4. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Personally I wouldn't put anything in the personal statement about why I am changing job but be ready to discuss the issue at interview if it comes up. ..... Unless of course the pack specifically asks you to address the issue. Some app. Forms have a 'reason for leaving ' box on the previous employment section, in which case I would agree you need to put something positive.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Leaving after a short time in the school (unless it is a temporary post), might make another school wonder if there was a problem. So to avoid that, it's best to give a good reason in your letter for wanting to leave a school.
    And the second point to remember is that you should not give the impression that you are running away from any one school, rather that you are going to the other one.
    So all in all, say that you are hoping to move for family reasons, to get nearer your parents/ols granny or whatever.
    And of course you should read the advice in the shortlisting clickables in the Welcome thread.
    Best wishes