1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo or anyone...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Jenerena, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Hi Theo.
    I recently completed an application for a lovely school I'm really interested in, in a Year 1 class. I haven't yet sent the application, but the school has just put up another advertisement for a Year 4 position. I'm still on my PGCE and I have trained for KS2, but I have only been in KS1 for placement so far and have that experience (about to go into Y6 mind). I would really like a job in Year 4, but really I'm quite flexible so I'd like to apply for both.
    Does it look silly if I want to apply for both? does it look silly if I send in two separate applications with separate statements? Or should I just choose one? At the moment, I think I'd get a better chance of getting an interview for the Y1 position, but I think I'd prefer the Year 4 position. How would it work?
    Just realised also that the Year 1 is permanent whereas the Year 4 is temporary. Maybe changes things slightly, but would be good to know generally as a lot of schools advertise multiple positions I'd be interested it.
    Dilemmas!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As you haven't sent in the application yet, could you add an extra paragraph in your letter on the lines 'I would also be interested in the Y4 post advertised as of xx/ xx/xx, should this application not be successful (don't like that wording, sure you could make it sound more positive) and would they like you to submit a separate application.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo Jenerena! Welcome to the Forum!
    As a general rule, if there are two posts, you can follow the advice that I generally give to add a short pareagraph at the end of the letter, saying:Whilst I am particularly interested in the Year 1 post, I believe that my training would also make me a suitable applicant for the Year 4 post, and would therefore also wish to be considered for this.
    It has got to be sensible, however - no good applying for pre-reception and Year 6 without a very very good reason for this disparity!
    I don't advise writing that - they won't want to be bothered with contacting you just to get another application - as it's Primary, they will probably have a goodly number of applications already, and wouldn't want the hassle of getting in touch with you just to get another one!
    You could, if you liked, ring the school and ask the person who replies whether you should send in 2 separate applications, or would just the one do.
    Or you could just put in the paragraph that I suggest.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

So much better advice from Theo.
    Yake his advice. My brain's not working well at present.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I think that your brain is working perfectly well, Lara, as all your helpful posts show.
    It's just that you haven't been on the other side of the fence, receiving and scrutinising applications!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.