1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo... or anyone... have I lost my chance?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by gjames00391, May 7, 2011.

1. Dear Theo, or anyone else out there who doesn't mind listening to me rant (!!)...
    I am a Primary NQT-to-be and have applied for 9 jobs for Sept (so far...). Had an interview and lesson observation last week but didn't get the job. Have not yet received my feedback (need to phone next week) but I am pretty certain that it is down to my interview rather than the lesson observation due to my 'gut feeling' after each stage.
    I know that the job hunt is especially difficult at the moment (I am in NW also) so now I am starting to panic that I have blown my chance. Everybody seems to say getting to interview is the hardest part (getting your app to stand out in 100+ etc), so I feel very annoyed with myself for letting the opportunity to bag the job pass me by. I had rehearsed interview questions, had a mock interview, practised my answers everyday on my way to placement (strange looks by other drivers!) and was as prepared as I could have been.... but I completely panicked, gave OK-ish answers that were full of waffle and not specific enough. I was so nervous I couldn't even pick up the glass of water for fear of shaking hands dropping it! I just don't see myself ever getting over my nerves in that kind of situation - I felt so intimidated (and also strangely became really aware of the fact that I am only 22!) by the interview panel, even though they were all very nice and tried to make me as relaxed as possible.
    Have just realised how much I have rambled on about this, don't really know what I am trying to achieve by this message! Have I thrown away my biggest chance?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, it's hard. Yes, you get nervous. And yes, you need to SELL yourself! Read the interview clickables in the Welcome thread and make sure you know your key points for selling. Good luck!