1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo or anyone else: personal statement structure help

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by semteach, Jun 23, 2011.

1. My partner recently went on a training course about how senior management shortlist candidates - this is in NHS but the advice he came back with seemed very relevant to any profession. One point they talked about was how they look for letters/personal statements that are structured to the person spec so they can easily 'tick off' the criteria. So... this is what I'm aiming to do with my current letter of application.
    I did my ES first to see how I meet the criteria. The spec is nicely categorised into sections like 'experience', 'skills', 'knowledge' etc so thought my letter could follow that with a paragraph on each.
    However my letter seems so jumbled up - I meet the criteria through different job roles (TA, student teacher and now supply) and I'm jumping from one thing to another. In the past I've structured my statement by my experience and fitted the person spec around that. For example, I used to have a nice paragraph about how beneficial supply has been but in my new letter these very good points are all mixed up throughout the letter.
    Is this OK - perhaps I'm so used to my usual format. Thank you in advance for any advice!

2. I personally prefer when specs are set out this way because I feel it reads better and does help them do the short
    listing a lot quicker.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Your E.S. - which you should send to the school - will do the job:
    So just do your letter so that it reads well, rather than bitty. It can be helpful to have a structure with headings, but make them work for you.
    Good luck.

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
    Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
    executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
    really appreciate.

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!