1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo (or anyone else) Internal vancancies interview questions

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Bobby_Carrot, Apr 23, 2012.

1. I have never had an interview for an internal post before. Basicall two temp staf, one perm post. We have both applied and both being interviewed.
    Are the questions likely to be similar to an external interview or do they tend to be different. I am really nervous as I am not sure I can face the jobs merry go round yet again if I don't get it.

2. I may be wrong on this one but, I thought, that they asked everyone the same questions? I was under the impression it had something to do with equal opps, like an easy way to tick the box of a fair interviewing process. I know when I went for a job with 2 internal candidates I was told at the start of the interview I would be asked 10 questions and they were the same 10 questions all the candidates would be asked although they may ask follow up questions from my answers. Actually I think I've heard that line from more than one interview - I forget, they have merged to one.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, iCatherine is correct - usually all lead questions are the same, with only follow-up questions or questions based solely on your application form or letter being different. Not always, but usually.
    But they might not ask you two something along the lines of In what way would this job be different from your current post - they don't want the answer I shall not be worrying about the end of contract, so shall be able to relax!
    So, if it is an externally advertised post, similar to the last lot of questions that they asked you. If just an internal advert, may be slightly different, as you know the school. But in either case, just remember not to fall into the "Internal Applicant Trap" of thinking that Oh, they know what I do - I don't need to spell it out.
    Spell it out. All of it. Doing the executive summary before your interview will help you here, if you haven't done one already.
    Best wishes

4. I probably didn't explain myself very well...
    This is two internal candidates who are already teaching in school, both with temp contracts but being interview for a perm post.
    It is internally advertised. The advise about spelling it out is good - someone else has already mentioned that. I did the executive summary and that has helped. Also will check on the school improvement points (there is always one I can never remember when we are asked what they are LOL)