1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo (or anyone else) - I didn't get the job and have you heard anyone doing this before?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Bobby_Carrot, May 16, 2011.

1. Hi Theo
    Didn't get the job today but I was the only candidate shortlisted who did not have a connection with the school already. There were two internal candidates and the other two had done placements there. The head said I was second and he was really sorry he was not able to offer me a post and he wished he had too jobs and I would have been offered it if there had been. He said they had really been nitpicking to choose between us.
    He also went on to ask whether I had considered another school in the area that had a post. I said I had but had not applied as it was KS1 and so far I had failed to gain interviews for any KS1 posts because I don;t have a lot of experience - only a 6 week block. He praised my lesson (LA year 3/4) and said there was no reason why, given the lesson I had done today and the quality, that I could not do KS1.
    He then explained the head at the school has been recently appointed and was his deputy and had the same philosophy for education as he did and that if I were interested in applying he would contact them and suggest they see me as I was such a strong candidate. Needless to say, I have now sent in an application form (the person spec was identical to the other school and I have just added a few extra bits about EAL that is more pertinent to this school) and written a new opening paragraph for my application letter.
    Has anyone else experienced this before where one head has recommended a candidate they interviewed to be interviewed elsewhere?

2. * two jobs - it has been a long day LOL

3. A HT once recommended me after I had come second in an interview. Another HT phoned me a few weeks later to see if I'd be interested in a job at their school. I had another job by then but it was nice to know they meant what they said.

4. wow that is fantastic feedback, well done. You should be very pleased. Shame you lost out on the job. Good luck with the next interview!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes, a HT from a school where I withdrew my application part way through the day. I was so clearly not right for their school and I think it was more or less mutual agreement that I should go home. However they did like me and my lesson (though it didn't suit their philosophy) so recommended me elsewhere.

Good Luck in the next place!

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh well done Bobby!
    Well done on that excellent lesson, and well done on impressing the Head.
    Yes, it happens quite often.
    If I see a really super candidate and don't have a job for him/her, then I'll phone up my mate at another school and say I've got a real treat for you!
    Very best of luck for this job now!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, although Julia is thinking of organising some more.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

7. Happened to me once as well. The head phoned me a week later to say he wanted me to apply to another local school and that he had recommended me. Was nice feedback, but I had already secured a job so didn't need to take up the offer.

8. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

Well done, this is a great result. I am in the same position as you, as it happens! Went for interview and was told that I didn't get the job because of something to do with subject knowledge (although I have been teaching for 5 years, I'm trying to move into a different subject area). However, the Head had said he thought I was excellent in every other way, same story -if there had been two jobs etc.... I also got fantastic feedback from the HoD, and the Headteacher has since recommended me to another school who are looking, and the HoD as also been in contact with them. So I'm applying for that now, and have spoken to the head of the new school, who is keen to interview me. Only trouble is, it's not until next week, so if I don't get it then that might be the end of my applications this year, with the deadline for handing in my notice looming!
    So, unfortunately, I cannot tell you the result of this recommendation yet, but it felt good that they had liked me enough to go to the trouble of trying to help me get sorted elsewhere, and I really hope that you and I manage to be successful as a result of being recommended! Best of luck!

9. The head at the other school rang me and asked me to apply so I have done. Application close today so guess it is wait and see time but at least I know the head at the first school wasn't just paying me lip service :)

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good news!Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

11. Head rang last night - I made it through shortlisting and have an interview on Thursday :)

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Wishing you all the best for Thurs!

13. vou

vou

Good luck!! :)