1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo or anyone else - Calling the head for chat prior to application / coming from SFC?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by teacher5060, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hello Theo and anyone else willing to offer guidance

I have two issues - I am coming from a long career in senior positions in a SFC and looking at an AHT job in a local school running their sixth form. I understand from some school colleagues there can be prejudice against those with only 16+ experience. How should I best present my experience as transferable and valuable and at least as good as those from schools? Secondly, they expect candidates to call the head for a discussion and visit the school. The visit I am fine with but I am puzzled about the phone call / chat. What questions do they expect? If I ask questions am I saying I can’t research or their information pack is insufficient? Basically, what is this “chat” for and how do I tackle it?
    Many thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Coming from a SFC (I was VP at one once), you are perfect for their post in a sixth form, seems to me. Your experience of pre-16 is probably limited to the induction of new students, and before that, to the interviewing of applicants, including advising them, promoting the college, etc.
    All seems very relevant and valuable to me! Don't think the teaching pre-16 is that important.
    As for the phone call, I would use it as a chance to ask about the promotion of the sixth form, what % of year 11 stay on, where do the others go, do they get in any from outside. I bet that this is a major concern (it always is!), and your experience in the SFC will be useful here, so talk about how you would help raise numbers.
    Plus anything that seems to comeo ut of Ofsted and their website and documents.
    Very best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. Huge thanks for your speedy and reassuring reply.
    regards