1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo (or anyone else) - application form question

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by PinkHelen, Mar 26, 2012.

1. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

Hi, I'm filling out an application form and wondering about the section "training and professional qualifications since leaving school". Every other form I've filled in has specifically asked for "post-16" or "post-11" qualifications, and I'm very much second-guessing myself with applications these days when I never used to. I wasn't going to include my A Levels there, but is that wrong (there's no other space on the form for them)?
    I feel like I could scream at the moment - I never used to worry about things like this on application forms, now I question everything I write. [​IMG]

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, the political party that introduces a mandatory common application form will get my vote too!
    Did you do your A-levels at school? Or at a college?
    Is there really nowhere to put your A-levels taken at school? Or is it just that you took them in college - if so, put them in the "after school" section.
    Maddening, isn't it!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

3. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

I did my A Levels at the sixth form of my high school. I suppose I can put them in there, but it seems a bit odd writing "--------------------- school" in the name of institution bit when they've said "since leaving school". I guess I should include them in there, as it might seem a bit odd not to include them, I just don't want to put them in and have them chuck it in the bin because I can't follow instructions!
    Definitely maddening, but thanks for the help!

4. You could write "............ School and 6 Form College" as your school name... I'm often selective about the name of my high school. Some times its ".......... Roman Catholic High School" and others its "....... School" depending on whether I wish to acknoledge to religious aspect of my education background or not. Although, I really doubt anyone cares what school I went to in reality... Personally I would interpret after school as post-16.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Unless you went to a Public School and were applying for an Independant post! In which case DO mention it somewhere.

6. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

Ooh thanks, I'll go with that (even though there's no mention of "6th Form College" in the usual name)!