1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, or anyone else: Another Exec Summary question...sorry

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by minnieminx, Mar 15, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Would it be sensible to put the desirable criteria in a different colour, say dark blue, to distinguish it from the essential criteria which are obviously in black?

I want to show off that I meet many of the desirable as well as all the essential.

Thank you.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Interesting creative idea but often the froms have to be photocpied for an interview & I'm not sure how blue would photocopy.
    Could you not do desirable & essential in different columns or different sections?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well it isn't really creative. Just made the desirable red for my info when I put them all into one column. However I think it might be clearer to keep it a different colour for the application. The school has and uses a colour copier, so copying isn't an issue. I chose dark blue as an example here as it is an acceptable ink colour in formal situations.

Can't really put them into different columns no, as am following the format suggested by Theo and there isn't really space for 4 columns. Same as putting them in sections, they need to stay in the sections given by the school really.

Thank you for the ideas though.

4. skeptucator

skeptucator Occasional commenter

I'm sure you could do that but they will know which are the essential/desirable. Might help to highlight things but if it is well written hopefully this would stand out anyway. Not sure how useful the executive summaries are- very useful if they are considered... but for my last 3 applications the exec summary was removed and not taken into the shortlisting panel. For fairness some schools only accept covering letter of 2 sides and application form, anything else you include is removed by admin staff when photocopying.
    Anyone have any idea how common this is and if schools do tend to include exec summaries on the whole?

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Mine will be part of the online application thingy. I'll have a 2 page application prose thing and then the summary as the third page. It goes through online, so can't actually be removed. I suppose the HT could remove it before giving it to the panel, but s/he will have seen it before shortlisting starts, so worth it for me.

And if it doesn't help, it definitely won't hinder!

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good luck minnieminx! Fingers crossed.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Thank you
    One is an internal promotion and the other at a different school in the partnership. Either would be fab!

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not cold water at all. I wanted advice and you are the expert at these things.

So just merge the essential and desirable all into one? Keep the sections as they are in the person spec and everything in the same order, with the less relevant bits missed out. I can do that, thank you.

Another question though...
    I have to write about how I would move the school forward with the reference to the area of responsibility, etc,etc. The points asked for will take me nearly the two pages of application. So can I just talk about how my experience means I meet the person spec just in the executive summary and not mention all of it in the application prose? It does seem like two different applications almost and clearly the part they ask to be mentioned in the application is the part to write about, isn't it?

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you'll have it all covered this way.

(Hope you are saving up to buy me aars Bar . . .)

Best of luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me in on Saturday 2 April.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

MMMMMars Bar
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me in on Saturday 2 April.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!