1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo (or anyone else!!) 90 apps, 6 interviews & still no job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Sharon75, May 2, 2011.

1. I qualified last year (09/10) achieving an outstanding rating from a tough mentor who is renown for failing students. I am currently working as an ad-hock supply teacher at 3 schools & I work almost full time.......

I have applied for 90 jobs, each letter is tailored individually. I have 2 heads, 1 deputy head, my mentor, my uni tutor and a former manager look at my letter. They tell me that it is a good letter and that I clearly address the person spec...... but I can't help thinking why have I only had 6 interviews then.......

3 of the 6 interviews went to internal candidates (wish I had known beforehand). 1) went disastrously wrong (I just lost my confidence). 1) went to a candidate that was a part time actress & the school wanted to put on a whole school play and the last 1) went to the candidate that was stronger on a Question about how they would implement the christian ethos in their everyday teaching (I was told that in all the other aspects I was at least as strong as the other candidate, & in some respects I was stronger).

So, you'll understand my current self-pity...... not productive or helpful, but I just feel so demoralised at the moment. I have looked at the advice on the jobseekers forum and I am doing all the things that are suggested.......

I seem to say that "During training I have demonstrated......" or "Through current employment I have shown......" which seems a little uninspiring...... does anyone have any suggestions on how I can say that I have the required skills/experience in a more interesting fashion???