1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - or anybody with any advice about jobs in FE

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by katielouby, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Hi there, I was just wondering if anybody could give me advice about jobs in FE. I am currently doing a PGCE (Secondary) in Business Studies. Ideally I would like to get a job teaching Travel and Tourism in a college (I have a background of work experience in the tourism industry and a 2:1 degree in Tourism Management), either that or teaching Business Studies in a college. I had an interview yesterday for my ideal job and after feedback I was just pipped to the post. The trouble is I am starting to wonder if I will be very lucky to find a job in a college as there hardly seems to be anything in my area at all, even in other subjects (West Yorkshire). Should I just give up the dream and concentrate on applying for Business Studies jobs in schools? Thank you, any advice appreciated!

2. Hi there, I was just wondering if anybody could give me advice about jobs in FE. I am currently doing a PGCE (Secondary) in Business Studies. Ideally I would like to get a job teaching Travel and Tourism in a college (I have a background of work experience in the tourism industry and a 2:1 degree in Tourism Management), either that or teaching Business Studies in a college. I had an interview yesterday for my ideal job and after feedback I was just pipped to the post. The trouble is I am starting to wonder if I will be very lucky to find a job in a college as there hardly seems to be anything in my area at all, even in other subjects (West Yorkshire). Should I just give up the dream and concentrate on applying for Business Studies jobs in schools? Thank you, any advice appreciated!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The job market is hard, in FE and in schools, with redundancies looming.
    Only you can make the decision, but I will point out two things to consider.
    1) By applying only to schools, you are limiting very much the job opportunities available to you
    2) I believe that in order to do your NQT induction, you need to be in a school for a year. Am ot an expert on this, so only say I believe.
    But do check that out.
    Best wishes
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. Thanks Theo for your reply. I know that I am able to do my NQT in a college (as long as they will support it, this is fine). Like you say it really is down to me to decide!