1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo or any others - Pay review issue

Discussion in 'Independent' started by fella, May 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. fella

fella New commenter

I work at an independent school and we work on our own pay scale. I am in my third year of employment here.

We are able to apply to move up the pay scale only every 2 years. Last year I made an application to move up and this was rejected. I was told this was largely due to the departments 'disappointing results'. No one in our department was given an increase.

Is it right that I should now have to wait another 2 years to apply again and that my award will largely be dictated to by matters that are not completely within my control??

I asked if I could apply again this year and was told the review is based on performance over a two year period, so no. Surely, two years could be rolling?? If I have one weak cohort with lower than average results (for our school) should I then be penalised for two years (if at all)?

I love my job, but this kind of nonsense makes me want to leave.

Advice please.

2. Snorkers

Snorkers New commenter

Have you talked to your Union? They'd be my first line of advice.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I suppose if the pay increase is based on a two year programme and you were up to the mark last summer, you would be applying this year with a great year and a poor year, or two poor years.
    Much better to wait another year and try for two great years.

Pay increases in teaching are generally so small as to not be a deal breaker.