1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo or any other HTs that read this forum

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rugby_gal06, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Hi Theo,
    Do you know if there is any particular reason why some posts are only being advertised for just over a week before the closing date? I'm wondering if it is to avoid a high amount of applicants or if there is an internal candidate and they are just following procedure...?
    In my area, there has been 900 applicants for 1 maternity post in the past few weeks.
    What do we need to do to get to the top of that pile?
    Yes, I do follow the clickables. I just wondering what sort of things might make an NQT stand out against other NQTs/more experienced teachers... or is it just luck?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hi Rugby Gal - long time no see!
    My honest answer is that they probably didn't get their act together earlier, and then realised that they had to rush it to get the interviews over and done before a specific cut-off date they had in mind.
    The former is just possible, although unlikely. After all, what you want is the BEST applicants, not just those who got in fast.
    The second is highly unlikely - do you know how much a TES ad costs? Hundreds and hundreds. No school would do that unless they actually wanted to have external applicants.
    Interesting. Can you PM me with more details of the school? Thanks.
    If there are 200 or more applications, the school, however well meaning it is, is going to be a bit superficial. I would actually say that the first stage, to make them feel positive towards you, is the appearance, and if the whole application is easy to read. I know that's superficial, but it's just human when faced with a two-foot high pile.
    Things that actually look good are going to get a second glance; a letter in small type, with narrow margins that looks oppressive will just make their hearts drop.
    A well-laid out executive summary that looks good, is easy to read, and shows exactly how you meet their requirements, will set you off well.
    Some of it will be luck. But produce a good application to push the luck in your direction.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.