1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: online applications

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by greenfrog, Oct 19, 2011.

1. I have read your advice about including an executive summary with the job application and think it would certainly be very beneficial. My problem is that the applciation for the job I wish to apply for must be completed on the online form, meaning there is no possibility of attaching the summary. Within the application form a statement of up to two sides is requested. Thus far when applying for jobs online, I have written my statement and sent the form off with no response. I wondered if there would be any merit in attaching an executive summary on one side and possibly a very brief few paragraphs on the other sheet adding more detail about key points as an alternative.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Horribly annoying, this!
    My advice here is just to give up the exec summary. At least, don't send it to them, just do the statement.
    But I always advise people to do the summary anyway, because it concentrates your mind and helps you write a better statement. And just by chance - here's the proof today! This poster says that writing the exec summary helped her to write a better statement.
    Dear Theo - got the job - the Executive summary works!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October 22nd Win that teaching job seminars - see you there!