1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, offering an additional referee...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by GTP-er, Jan 28, 2012.

1. I am a primary teacher in my fourth year at my current school, having taught elsewhere for the six years before that. An opportunity has come up and I intend to apply but am in a quandry over referees.
    A bit of background....
    At my first school (inner London, challenging intake e.g. 80+% FSM) I was Acting SENCo for a year when the postholder was seconded, I then retained some of the responsibility as Lead Teacher for Behaviour and Attendance when the postholder returned. I was also a Y6 teacher and was involved in the year group beating their targets and gaining 'the most improved KS2 maths results in the borough'.
    When I moved schools it was to become a PPA teacher (a way of gaining KS1 & EYFS experience without having to be a class teacher of small people) but in my third year I became a class teacher and took on responsibility for assessment, writing/producing the prospectus and redesigning/launching the website. As the school was the subject of numerous LA reviews my role as Assessment Co-ordinator involved much more than any of us had anticipated at the start of the academic year; 3 LA reviews, various 'partnership agreement' interrogations with the LA and so the list goes on.
    The role I am looking to apply for includes an element of assessment leadership and so it would, in my mind, make sense for the Head from last year to be the person who writes my reference as I worked more closely with her than with anyone else (and the Deputy has a limited understanding of assessment... part of the reason it was such a big job!).
    Here's the complication: last year's Head left in the summer so she is no longer my current Head [​IMG]. She is willing to be named as a referee, but won't meet the Safeguarding requirements of being my current Head.
    Neither of the new Heads (Executive and Associate) were involved with the school last year so don't have the same knowledge or understanding of the role I fulfilled last year. The Executive Head is very open about only providing references that, "meet the requirements they need to" which I take to mean that it will be of the "I can confirm that X has worked at Y school for Z years. X has had 0 days off sick and isn't subject to any disciplinary thingummyjigs" variety.
    I could, I know, use current Head and last year's Head but that would mean there would be no reference from my first school whose intake more closely reflects that of the school I am applying to.... and I have reason to believe that the SENCo experience I have had may well be of interest.
    So, what to do?
    At the moment I am considering putting current Head as referee 1, first school Head as referee 2 and mentioning somewhere (maybe in a covering letter?) that last year's Head is also willing to provide an additional reference, specific to assessment responsibilities if that would be of interest - I'd include contact details having double-checked that it was acceptable for me to do so.
    Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Perfect!
    I'd just add something along the lines of she knows my work and my contribution over time, whereas, of course, the current Head has not yet come to know well all the XX memebers of staff.
    Best wishes
    P.S. You are reading all the advice in the shortlisting clickables, aren't you?
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

3. Thank you [​IMG]
    I have done as you suggested albeit substituting the bit about the current Head with a phrase that explains that previous Head has also observed me teaching (reference to outstanding lesson observations is made in the advert).
    Interestingly, current Heads appear to think they do know all XX staff incredibly well.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hope it all works out for you!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th

5. Thank you... so do I! Application has been submitted, am keeping my fingers crossed.

6. I've been shortlisted for interview [​IMG]
    I'll be reading your interview tips over half-term!

7. I've been offered the job [​IMG]
    Contrary to what I posted previously, it would seem that the Heads don't actually think they know the staff that well after all - they provided a reference that offered little useful information and had put 'I haven't known X for long enough to comment' for most questions.
    So it's a good thing I formally offered an additional referee because that person was contacted yesterday and has been asked to provide the reference that the Heads failed to.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent! Really good news!
    And how interesting about that, ehum, lazy Head . . .
    But now you need to start a new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job, to give hope to all other posters.
    Best wishes
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar at 2pm on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

9. Congratulations!

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Wow, fantastic news. Great result. Break out the champagne
    [​IMG]