1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- Offered a job but worried about references!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sezzie5225, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Hello
    I am just wondering if you can give me some advice.
    I was offered a job last Wednesday at a school. (Over 200 people applied so I was very chuffed when they offered it to me!). The only problem is, they said it was subject to my references coming back as satisfactory as they had only received one back from my previous school.
    Apparently they have received the reference from my head teacher but were waiting for the other one. Due to there being lots of staffing changes at my previous school, I put my references as my head teacher and a year 1 colleague who I worked with. I told the school that offered me the job I would chase up the other reference.
    So, I spoke to my year 1 colleague and she said she can only do a personal reference as she was never my line manager. (I have since found out the head teacher had added to her reference as there were some areas she couldn’t fill in- having never been my line manager). This reference has now been sent through to my new school.
    I have tried to contact the school to check if this is ok but can’t seem to get hold of the lady I originally spoke to. (The school is huge, based over two sites). I am also worried, as I haven’t received a confirmation letter to say I have been offered the job, but am guessing this will only be sent once the school receives both references.
    So, should I:
    1) Stop panicking, and assume the references I have sent through will be fine and await a letter to confirm the job.
    2) Ring the school and try to contact the lady I originally spoke to and explain the referencing situation and ask for a letter to be sent once they have received my references. (I don’t want to appear pushy and annoy people by constantly ringing)
    3) Email the school, and write the email for the attention of the lady who offered me the job (I do have her name, so obviously wouldn’t write’ to the lady who offered me the job’!). Explain the references situation and ask if she would like me to provide another reference.
    <font face="Times New Roman"> </font> I know my referencing worry probably seems very silly but its so competitive to get a teaching job down in the south, and I really like the school so don&rsquo;t want to lose the position over something like a reference (when I know my references will come back as good).
    I am also worried the school will change their minds and withdraw the job as I have only had verbal confirmation.
    Any advice will be greatly received.
    Thanks
    Sezzie

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I would go for (3) as it is not pushy, you are not asking the school to do anything, you are offering to do something for them.
    A verbal offer and acceptance constitutes a contract. However in this case it is conditional on receiving the satisfactory references, so if this condition is not complied with, they could indeed withdraw the offer.
    But they were keen to appoint you (from 200 applicants - Well Done!), so are unlikely to change their mind. So don't worry too much!
    Best wishes

3. Thank you very much for the advice. I'm going to leave it a few days until I know they will have recieved my reference and then email them.

Thanks again

Sezzie

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Unless this ex colleague puts something dire in her reference (and you've obviously no reason to imagine she will!), the fact that they've received the head's reference and have not withdrawn the offer is the important fact - it really is the head's reference that is crucial, since s/he is the one likely to give them reasons not to appoint you (usually to do with safeguarding, I might add).