1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - NQT salary

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Andy92, May 21, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    First of all thanks for your excellent workshop in London last week. I'd throughly recommend it to anyone who hasn't attended, if there are future workshops coming up.
    Happily after your advice, I've been shortlisted for interview this week.
    My question's about salary - I do believe that due to my extensive industry experience I should be worth at least one pay scale increment, but in these times schools have no duty to award it to an NQT.
    Your advice is that money shouldn't be discussed in the interview - and further advice I've had suggests it isn't for discussion were I to get offered the post by phone call or face to face.
    Should I simply concentrate on getting my case over to them through the lesson and interview, not worry about money and hope they would award it? It's weighing on me when I should be preparing! Thanks.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh excellent news!
    I suggest that you DO bring it up when (when!) the job is offered.
    You could say something along these lines: Thank you very much, I would be happy to accept, subject to satisfactory salary offer. What were you thinking of offering me? Then pause for them to tell you what they are thinking of giving you if they haven't already done so. You then respond, if not what youhoped: I had rather expected that my years of relevant industry experience would be recognised by something a little higher. Do you think that might be possible?
    At this stage you have got nothing to lose by asking this. If they say No, then you say that uyou are somewhat disappointed, but feel that you will be able to make an excellent contribution to the school, so would like to accept their offer.
    I'm glad that you found it useful; it was fun, too, wasn't it? We laughed quite a bit . . . There may be more this term, I am not quite sure, but certainly next term we shall start a whole series.
    Good luck! Looking forward to that Dear Theo - I got the job!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.

A new SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!