1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, NQT returning to teaching needing references

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sscirc, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,

I am seeking some much needed advice. Firstly let me give you a brief history. I completed my PGCE in 2003 whilst pregnant. When my child was young (2005-2006) I worked at my final placement school on supply on an ad-hoc basis so it did not count towards my NQT year. I then had my second child and due to many complications I was not able to return to work. These issues have now been resolved and I feel that I am now in a position to give my full commitment and vigour to my NQT year. I have recently completed 2 terms voluntary work in a primary school to bring my skills and knowledge up to date and give me the confidence to apply for a permanent position. Just to complicate things further I have recently relocated so I have no previous history with any local schools.

So my questions are:

1. Should I still put down my PGCE tutor as a referee?

2. During my time working (2005-2006) at my previous school (also my final placement school) the Headteacher changed 3 times and I am am not known by the current Headteacher and one of the other Headteachers retired. Should I hunt down the other Headteacher for a reference in a hope that he remembers me?

3. Should I use the teaching agency as a reference? (I have spoken to them and they said that all that they would be able to put in a reference is the number of days I worked for them)

4. I arranged my recent voluntary work with a Deputy Headteacher who was my mentor during my final placement so she would make a great referee as she really knows me as a teacher but as she is not a Headteacher would she make a suitable referee?

5. Do you think I should do some more voluntary work in a local school until I get a job offer or would I be better doing some supply? (The LEA are willing to extend the 16 month rule for a further 12 months due to my circumstances)

Any guidance will be appreciated!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This is a tricky situation.
    (Thanks for nice clear numbered Qs, by the way)
    Q1 Too long ago, much too long ago.
    Q2 I think it is unlikely . . but you could try. As it was only a placement, you wouldn't have made a big impression (unless you were really, really bad, in which case he will remember that!)
    Q3 To be avoided if at all possible. They are useless. But if you desperately need a second one, go for it.
    Q4 Yes, this will be fine. As you haven't really been employed recently by a school, the lack of a Head won't matter. It is when you are clearly deliberately avoiding giving your Head that things look bad.
    Q5 Supply would be good,especially if you get asked back to the same school - you can then put that in your application.
    Q6 - which you didn't ask! Yes, someone from your volunteering school would do fine - any one at all, the class teacher, the KS Co-ordinator, the Head or Deputy.
    Don't forget to read carefully and follow the advice in here:
    Dear Theo I need help!
    Best wishes
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. Thank you for your much needed advice, it really is a tricky situation. I think I will put the Deputy and Head from my volunteering school as they are the most recent and relevant. I will also register with some agencies.

Thank you once again!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Fingers crossed for you!
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars