1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo-NQT moving to private for last term of NQT year

Discussion in 'Independent' started by sweetie666, Apr 15, 2012.

1. sweetie666

sweetie666 New commenter

Hi Theo

Before doing my teacher training (pgce) I worked as a nursery assistant/ sometimes teaching in a private school.
    When I qualified I accepted a job part time at my final placement school (infant state school) which was covering maternity then moved in Jan full time to do another cover in the same school until July 2012.

I have been itching to get back into private ever since and have been offered an interview at a private school for a kindergarten class teacher role (5 mornings a week), however when going their website noticed it stated minimum of NVQ 2 to apply for the post.
    I am now worried that this post is not actually an 'official' teaching role and that I might not be able to complete my final term as an NQT. Also I am not sure of what the pay will be??? and obviously I want a teaching pay not an assistant rate.

Any help or advice you have got would be much appreciated

Thanks
    Sweetie

2. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

If you're not working full time then I have a feeling it will take you longer/be impossible to complete the NQT anyway... It is linked to teaching time, which could be a problem for instance if you are ill for more than 10 days in the term, so I don't see how working 50% would not prohibit the completion of NQT status.
    I'd definitely discuss that with them when you go for interview (both NQT completion and pay scale), and also check how much time you are allowed to delay completion of the last term for - having a job, any job, might be better than having nothing for now, but it really is in your interest to find a job where you can complete the NQT as a priority.

3. As above. Ask at the interview and then, if you get the job, ask them to confirm the situation in the letter they send offering you the post. In addition, since it is an independent school, you can take your time signing the contract and making sure it includes what you need. Get your Union (ATL are good at this) to review the contract & to give you the green light for signing it. They may suggest a new clause or some rewording - you can put this to the school.
    You may want to explain to the school (once you have been offered the job and have accepted it verbally on condition that it meets your requirements) that you will be getting a third party to look over it.
    If, at the end of the day, you get what you need - good. If not, then never mind. The school will have lost time (they will need to go back & re-advertise). You will have lost nothing, since you would only have taken the job if it met your needs. Do not stop applying just because there is possibly 'one in the bag'. You lose all credibility, flexibility and negotiating power!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some good advice there from Noemie.
    Yes, only part-time means that it would take two terms to complete your final term.
    And yes, it must be a teaching role, and they must be willing and able to sign you up for ISCTip.
    Read more about that on here:
    Yes you can do your Induction Year in an Independent School
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.