1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - NQT Job share/part time

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Clairead75, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Hi I am currently doing a PGCE to teach primary and will finish in July this year so I'm currently applying to my local Pool and looking at other jobs. However I have two small children and although I really want to teach I'm not sure I can work full time whilst they are still so small (youngest is 8mths) My ideal situation would be to do my NQT year part time over two years. Can this be done? If so are there many part time positions available? Or do I apply for a full time post but mention on my application form what I would like to do and hope a school might consider me?
    I'm really confused about the best way to approach this, maybe I should just put my NQT year on hold for a year or will this cause me problems when I come to do it at a later date?
    Thanks for your advice
    Claire

2. Hi I am currently doing a PGCE to teach primary and will finish in July this year so I'm currently applying to my local Pool and looking at other jobs. However I have two small children and although I really want to teach I'm not sure I can work full time whilst they are still so small (youngest is 8mths) My ideal situation would be to do my NQT year part time over two years. Can this be done? If so are there many part time positions available? Or do I apply for a full time post but mention on my application form what I would like to do and hope a school might consider me?
    I'm really confused about the best way to approach this, maybe I should just put my NQT year on hold for a year or will this cause me problems when I come to do it at a later date?
    Thanks for your advice
    Claire

3. Yes but I think your contract would need to be at least 0.5 (half a working week)
    Depends on the job market where you live. Near me, the answer would be yes but you may live in an area where most jobs are full time or there aren't many jobs. Start looking at job adverts now to see what's about.
    You could but I would be surprised if you were successful.
    I strongly suggest that you don't put your NQT year off but get it done - it will be harder next year when you have to compete against next year's NQTs.

4. Hi, I am in the same position as yourself. Looking for part-time NQT job as have 2 young children. Just wondered if you had had any luck with finding a job.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, it certainly can.
    No, very few. And they are rarely advertised - usually they are snapped up by people already working there.
    This might work, if, for example, there is someone at the school who would like to go part time.
    But no guarantee, of course.
    All very unsatisfactory and difficult for you, when it is already difficult to get any job at present. And I haven't got a solution, I'm afraid.
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October 22nd Win that teaching job seminars - see you there!