1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: NQT Interview help

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by vickyj87, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I have just completed my Primary PGCE and am desperately trying to secure my first teaching post. I have been shortlisted and attended 7 interviews in the past 2 months to be told consistently that I gave a great interview but 'x' had more experience/had more to offer. I have another interview on Monday and would really appreciate some advice to help me secure the post!
    Thank you!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Be yourself.
    Really emphasize all the good points you will bring to the school.
    Wishing you all the best!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Getting 7 interviews is good going, so well done. You clearly have a lot to offer a school, so take heart from that.
    And don't believe what you hear in feedback - it often is just "something to say" and doesn't mean much.
    Now, first you must go to the Welcome thread at the top of the Forum, and read the advice there. Make sure that you get very clear in your head what your Key Points are.
    Then read the advice given here by MiddleMarch - excellent idea too.
    Dear Theo and all- Get to the interview, but nerves always get the better of me. What to do?
    Finally, if you have time, get someone to give you a mock interview - anyone a bit bossy will do, doesn't have to be a teacher - and get some brutal feedback from them. You might be doing something simple like mumbling or looking down at your feet all the time.
    Best wishes

._____________________________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

4. Thanks very much for your advice :) I didn't get the job last Monday, but had an interview on Wednesday and used my key points and mind maps and I got the job!! I'm still in shock! It was definitely worth the wait.
    Thank you again!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You shouldn't really get this star until you start a new thread Dear Theo - I got that job!
    But I'm feeling generous . . .
    You're a star, a twinkly star!
    [​IMG]
    Super, super, super!
    The first thing to do is to read this thread:
    Got a Job Offer? What to do now . . .
    and then bump it for other people to see.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It works, doesn't it? Very well done.

7. Great news! Well done!