1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - NQT Help!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sophie625, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,

I am a final year teaching student and am in the process of applying for jobs - but i'm so confused! On my local authority's website is where I apply for the jobs, it doesn't say anywhere that I can email it over. But by applying online, how do I include a cover letter and letter of application? (There is only a section which states: Relevant Skills and Experience) What is the difference between the two letters? When I write the letter, is it from the job description or person specification? Also, on the online application it asks if I have QTS, which I don't as I have not yet completed my degree but will do in a matter of months - the options were only 'yes' or 'no'. Also what is GTC and would I be a member yet? Sorry for all the questions, I feel totally unprepared by my University.

Thank You

2. Dear Theo,

I am a final year teaching student and am in the process of applying for jobs - but i'm so confused! On my local authority's website is where I apply for the jobs, it doesn't say anywhere that I can email it over. But by applying online, how do I include a cover letter and letter of application? (There is only a section which states: Relevant Skills and Experience) What is the difference between the two letters? When I write the letter, is it from the job description or person specification? Also, on the online application it asks if I have QTS, which I don't as I have not yet completed my degree but will do in a matter of months - the options were only 'yes' or 'no'. Also what is GTC and would I be a member yet? Sorry for all the questions, I feel totally unprepared by my University.

Thank You

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Tip: next time, number your questions - much easier for both of us!
    Q1 I'm afraid that i don't know, as every local authority will have a different system
    Q2 This is set out in the first of the FAQs (inside the Welcome thread)
    Q3 Start with the person spec. I don't expect that you will have done much to prove on the job description
    Q4 Leave blank, but mention in your letter that you will have QTS by June
    Q5 GTC (google it) was abolished 2 days ago, so ignore that one too.
    I guess by your second question that you haven't yet had a chance to open the welcome thread and read the shortlisting clickables or the Faqs. First job for you tomorrow!
    Well done for starting job hunting already. You might like to read this bried summary of the main steps:
    Dear Theo: Cover Letter..
    Best wishes