1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - not visiting schools

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lillipad, Mar 13, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi all,

Am currently teaching full time, and am looking for a position for Sept. As i'm teaching full time, i'm not sure how much time my head will actually give me off to go and firstly visit schools and secondly go to interviews if shortlisted. The problem is as well is a lot of the schools are a distance away as there are no jobs in my area :(

I understand it's a good idea to visit, but if I really can't - what do I do? I feel like my app will go straight in the bin if i don't visit?! And I remember someone once saying I should call if I can't visit, but what do you say on the phone? I'd be like 'hi... ummm hello... bye.' Help lol

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi all,

Am currently teaching full time, and am looking for a position for Sept. As i'm teaching full time, i'm not sure how much time my head will actually give me off to go and firstly visit schools and secondly go to interviews if shortlisted. The problem is as well is a lot of the schools are a distance away as there are no jobs in my area :(

I understand it's a good idea to visit, but if I really can't - what do I do? I feel like my app will go straight in the bin if i don't visit?! And I remember someone once saying I should call if I can't visit, but what do you say on the phone? I'd be like 'hi... ummm hello... bye.' Help lol

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well what about phoning, asking to speak to the Head or at very least DH, saying something like,'I'd love to visit the school, as I've been so excited by looking at it on the website (or whatever) but unfortunately with the distance involved & a full-time teaching commitment this may prove difficult, so could they include a length of time for you to look round the school, should you be fortunate to be invited for interview.
    That way it shows you're interested but have good reasons why you weren't able to visit. I'd also mention something about the school in your application, to show, you've at the very least done some research about the school.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some people just cannot visit.
    Phoning can be good - but you need to have a script ready, saying you are very interested in the position but cannot visit, is this a good time to talk for a few minutes or would they prefer another time? When you get the go-ahead, have a few questions ready (ones that cannot be answered from the website) such as where the school is heading in X (your subject area or interest), what opportunities would there be for you to contribute to the extra-curricular programme, what community relationships would you be working with, etc.
    Yes, this is good, but do remember that your application should be individual to each school, so you do need to have domne your homework.
    Best wishes
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!